Pre-hung interior Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
Any one have experience with interior pre-hung doors from HD or Lowes?

I was at HD looking at the pre-hung doors for a bathroom I am remodeling and I did not like what I saw. They use a lot of staples, the door stops don't look straight. But I have never installed pre-hung doors before so I don't know if this is standard or if there are better options.

Thanks.

I've been unimpressed with the Masonite brand. The last one I ordered was poorly constructed, stapled with lots of filler needed - I returned it. I ordered another brand from HD and was much happier with the quality.
Our house came with Masonite fiberglass exterior doors. They all warped over the years and had to be replaced.

Reactions: vinny11950
Yeah, the ones I was looking at are Jeld-Wen, solid pine, six panel for about $180. The door itself looks well made but its the frame that looks a little shaky. I'll probably look at a bunch of them and pick the one that looks the best.

I've put in several of the white, cheap ones. They work fine but are certainly not some sort of artpiece.

You get what you pay for. Pretty much anything from HD is of sub par quality, I order 6 panel pine doors from my suppliers for around $200, the jamb is one piece the stops are milled into it rather than stapled onto it.
I'm not saying you can't get by with an HD door but if you want something nice go to a local lumber yard, talk to a salesman and tell them your concerns. You'll pay a little more but you'll bet a little more.
FYI, a jeld wen door from a lumber yard isn't going to be the same one you get at HD.

I've been in the trades for 17 years, I go to great lengths to avoid anything from HD or Lowes.

Check the thickness of your wall vs the thickness of the jamb. The hd ones aren't wide enough for my walls. I had to cut a piece to make up the difference. It wasn't a big deal, but something to consider when buying the door.

Thanks, guys, great suggestions. I will look at the local lumber yards.

I have used the pine 6 panels from HD and never had an issue with them. I stained mine red oak & 4 coats of gloss poly. They turned out great.
Lumber yard is going to be a similar door, that only costs more.
The last ones I installed were in walls that were thicker, so I ended up buying the 6 panel pine door blanks only, and made the frames at the widths I needed out of 1x pine stock. The widest being nearly 10" wide.
The masonite ones are cheapest, and I don't hang them in the house here, but I have used them in the past.

I found a local lumber yard close to me sells better quality wood pre-hung doors for a better price than Home Depot . . . but the reason for this is because they have a shop on site that puts the doors together.

HD and Lowe's have amazing buying power. They tell their potential suppliers what they're going to pay, their suppliers then need to find a way to make a profit at that price if they want to sell in their stores.
This results in good prices for the consumer but at a cost in quality. Andersen does HD specific manufacturing, Dewalt and others do the same. There's a reason most tool recalls only involve the ones sold in box stores.
Not saying you shouldn't buy anything there, but buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.