Pre Installation Prep - New Installation With Exisiting Chimney - Tips Please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littlalex

Oct 6, 2007
Hewitt, NJ
Greetings all - I'm going to purchase an NC-13 next week so I'm starting to plan the install using the existing pipework (certified sweep did inspections and gave OK).

I looked through the tutorials and couldn't find this addressed.

I'm taking out an existing Vigilant and I obviously have to use a 6 -> 8 in" increaser stovepipe add on. I'm looking at the the connections from the Vig flue top and there is a piece of stove pipe oval at the stove rising about 12 inches to the first section of stovepipe (i'm assuming single wall). there are three 22" sections connected up to the thimble at the ceiling.

Looking at how the pipe is connected, I see there are no sheet metal screws but it certainly looks like the pieces are cemented. Am I moving the stove first, and if not how do I remove the first oval to round section? Are we looking at sawing off a chunk or if only cemented is it possible I could just physically separate the pipe?

Of course, if the pipe is double wall that is what I will use.

I guess it's obvious that I'm not a home handyman type.

TIA,
Littlalex

If they are just cemented together w/ furnace cement a little banging and wiggling and they should come apart and you can replace that ovalized piece with round to match your new stove. When putting it back together you can use furnace cement as they did and adding 3 screws per joint is wise.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.