Pre-insulated liner a viable option for limited diameter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

19glendale

Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
I'm installing a Century S244 stove in my masonry fireplace which has a 6" connection and the manual calls for a 6" pipe.

My chimney flue is 6.5x10. I don't want to bust out the tile/terra cotta liner.
I had originally intended on a heavy wall 6" pipe with insulation, but that will be too big from what I've been advised on this forum (possibly 7 3/4").

I've also read the 6" pre-insulated is OD 6 5/8".

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...n-Pre-Insulated-Easy-Flex-Chimney-Liner-Kit-6

Will these pre-insulated liners compress just a little bit (1/8") to fit down the chimney with the aid of a pulling cone?

ovalize the heavy wall or remove the tile like i said before. Or call the manufacturer about a 5.5"

How is the ovalizing accomplished? I don't want to remove the tile.

Thanks

You would either order it oval or you would have a sweep with an ovalizer ovalize it for you. I have seen guys smash liners with boards and hammers ect but I would not recommend that.

or you could order an oval preinsulated liner. But if you are ovalizing you need to find out what volume you need. For a 6" stove you need to go up to a 7" liner when ovalizing to maintain the same volume. Only the stove manufacturer can tell you what volume is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.