Pre insulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeap, you can cut it to make a more straight shot.
No, you don't have to have furnace cement. As the liner and connector adapter fit tight, no cement needed. Do screw the connector adapter to the stove outlet though.

Yep - just cut it and chip enough brick to make work

I can't tell if the metal fire box has a smoke shelf behind it but if it does make sure you crawl in there and vacuum out the years of creosote in there. I took out a 16 gal shop vac full of junk that had been swept or fell behind there. I also insulated all of my liner except the bottom 3 feet or so. I had enough liner insulation left to double it up an use that to insulate my block off plate. Kept me from buying Roxul and gave me an inch of insulation. Just a tip on the liner insulation... Wear gloves and a tyvek suit that is duct taped at the wrists. I would rather rolll in fiberglass batt all day than touch liner insulation.

Pretty sure there is a smoke chamber above where the smaller lip of the damper frame. Once I cut and remove a couple bricks I should be able to get my hand up there and check for debri. Good tip appreciate it. Back to my original idea about 6 or 8" . Another point I never thought of was I can always take my 6" liner out and use a coupler to extend it then use that 6" liner again on the nc-30 in the basement! Hate to rehash that subject but 6" for proper size now and later sounds good to me , then the 8" can be dropped down the day we decide on a large insert. Another two weeks and I can order my liner this is killing me I want to see this thing heating my house!

Hey, I am new in the forum, I have an insert Osburn 2200, and planning to install a second insert, this time a Fireplacextrordinair Large Flush unit. With it I would like to use an insulated liner in the chimney, and although the insert dealer, says I do not need to use it in Virginia, because of some cracks in the chimney, I really want to use it. I heard here about a rep of Magnaflex, and I would like to get his contact information for buying from him.

Thank you

Hey, I am new in the forum, I have an insert Osburn 2200, and planning to install a second insert, this time a Fireplacextrordinair Large Flush unit. With it I would like to use an insulated liner in the chimney, and although the insert dealer, says I do not need to use it in Virginia, because of some cracks in the chimney, I really want to use it. I heard here about a rep of Magnaflex, and I would like to get his contact information for buying from him.

Thank you
EugenioPF

Welcome!

Just sent you the contact info for the Magnaflex manufacturer. Great guy to work with!

Glad to hear you are going with an insulated liner - you can only gain by doing it right the first time!

Adam

Hey Adam have you used the insulflex ? If so how flexible is it compared to plain ss flex liner

From my install, it is a bit hard to say. I I feel it was quite close to the flexibility of an insulation wrapped SS liner, and a bit easier to handle because there are no worries of ripping the foil facing on the insulation wrap. I had a pretty straight shot down the chimney and did the install from the roof without any help, though I did hear it from the wife and one of my kids when they got home. I did find it easier to straighten out from its rolled up shipping condition than the standard SS liner I installed last year.

Hope this helps ....

I plan to cut damper and knock out a brick or two then it's a slight S curve to the top of stove I think I'm going to go with insulflex did u pay through paypal?

I plan to cut damper and knock out a brick or two then it's a slight S curve to the top of stove I think I'm going to go with insulflex did u pay through paypal?

A slight curve should be no issue. I did pay through paypal and had absolutely no complaints with the transaction.

Yes, paypal

Block off plate right above lintel should you still roxul above old damper and black off? Is the only way to anchor the block plate into masonry or is there an easier alternative

Pretty sure there is a smoke chamber above where the smaller lip of the damper frame. Once I cut and remove a couple bricks I should be able to get my hand up there and check for debri. Good tip appreciate it. Back to my original idea about 6 or 8" . Another point I never thought of was I can always take my 6" liner out and use a coupler to extend it then use that 6" liner again on the nc-30 in the basement! Hate to rehash that subject but 6" for proper size now and later sounds good to me , then the 8" can be dropped down the day we decide on a large insert. Another two weeks and I can order my liner this is killing me I want to see this thing heating my house!
You can absolutely move and reuse the liner. They do make a coupler to add an extended length. Not a problem.

Either anchor the block off into the masonry with tapcon screws, or you can make a frame out of some angle iron, mount that along the perimeter or whoever you want to fab it, then scree the block off to the fabricated frame. Another alternative, IF you bend your flanges for the block off plate so that it fits snugly or tight in place without falling out, you can run a full bead of silicone around the flanges along the perimeter and once the silicone sets, it will will most likely hold the plate in place. I used the tapcons and self tapping metal screws for my set up. I tend to go all out regarding the woodburning. Can never be too safe.

IF you bend your flanges for the block off plate so that it fits snugly or tight in place without falling out, you can run a full bead of silicone around the flanges along the perimeter and once the silicone sets, it will will most likely hold the plate in place.

What I did and it has just hung there getting it done for seven seasons.

What I did and it has just hung there getting it done for seven seasons.

Did the same - bead of silicone - I figure I can always go to more drastic measures later if needed.

Also, does not hurt to stuff some roxul up there - easy and cheap to do and can only help. I did not do this on my first fireplace insert, and am planning to pull it out so that I can add the roxul this spring - should have done it to begin with!

Quick update and probably last post until install . But purchased roxul comfort batts hopefully that is ok for top and bottom of liner. The NC-30 has left Pennsylvania in route to ohio! Magnaflex insuflex being ordered in about 1 1/2 weeks! Sitting next to my insert with a shot cat bad baffle zero insulation and a direct connect running full blast since 5 am and house is 68 degrees supplementing with kerosene heater on high ....... Needless to say I can't wait for a proper install and vast improvement in the heat department!

Oh and the old country comfort is eating wood at an incredible rate :(
Yes seasoned ash for about 1.25 years next year The oak and hickory should be ready for the new nc-30

Status
Not open for further replies.