Pre storm felling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Will be dropping a large oak tomorrow that has been planned for a few weeks. Eager to get the tree felled limbed bucked and hopefully split only burning up 3/4 of the day between 3 of us. I'm finishing the filling my 2014/15 racks, all oak, 3-4 cords total. Need to get the job done, but safely in a hurry to make time for storm prep. Will post pics tomorrow. Be well

Looking forward to the pics. Lucky that you have 2 helpers, I have 1 helper maybe 25% of the time. Sure makes a job quicker and a bit easier with the extra hands.

This storm coming has made me put off my walkway install until next weekend so I'm hoping CL has some ads for tree damage removal...but please, don't take out the electric power this time!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hope it goes well be safe while cutting.

Taking the tree is some-what storm prep.
Better it be down when & where you want it.

3 guys, from felling to split will be a good 3/4 day work out.
sounds like a fun time ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
So far....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351350278308.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351350278308.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 119
Going to make the notch a bit bigger...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351350389920.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351350389920.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 109
Nice sized tree you have there, good to have the extra hands moving it around and processing. Good luck and be safe!

T I M B E R................. wish i had some help. ;)

cass

Your notch was more than big enough, were you tied off with bullrope or steel cable? Did you use wedges as a failsafe? If the tree doesn't have a favorable lean, we usually use wedges as a failsafe. We did a medium sized spruce and a big ash tree today (around 28" diameter at the base), I had to climb and top some of it first as it was pretty close to the house. Lots of good firewood there, WS. Some pics of the aftermath and of the splitting when you get a chance, maybe?;)

2012-10-27_10-24-57_793.jpg2012-10-27_11-09-55_256.jpg2012-10-27_11-09-36_124.jpg

WellSeasoned, that is a beautiful oak. A real shame to have to take it down but this will give you lots of great firewood.

Tree felled, almost where we wanted it. One of the branches unfortunately clipped the very end of the porch, w/o any structural damage.The tree rolled a bit. My buddy was actually pleased because it exposed some pretty rotten roofing. Damage was to the gutters and soffit. We did rope it, and had to use a pulley. Overall everything went well. We were only able to finish up the crown, and will finish another day. 2 pickups, a trailer, most split and stacked. 2+ cords easy done, around 3 cords to finish up. Was a beautiful tree, buddy wanted it down, offered me the wood.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351382547308.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351382547308.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 146
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351382588347.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351382588347.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 151
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351382644633.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351382644633.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 159
Wish I had time left to get down in my woods and put a cut in a couple of scary drops I need to do. And let the storm do the rest.

Nice oak you have.

Some nice fire wood there.
Bet it made a depression in the ground.

FWIW; the hing looks thin to me, might be why it rolled

Thx dave..... You feel that earthquake?

No, was a long way south of us.
Stacks still standing. :)

I seem to never feel them unless they are close & fairly strong ones & stuff starts swinging
, wife does all the time, She wasn't home for this one

I guess I'm not sensitive enough LOL :)

Reactions: swagler85 and ScotO
So how did you get the wagon?

So how did you get the wagon?
Dennis, that was my buddy's wagon there on his property, maybe kinda hard to see behind the splitter. The shovel inside it was fine, as was the wooden post with the electrical outlet. Crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.