Pre winter cleanup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
The winter weather is almost upon us.

The stoves are all ready to roll but there were still things left to do.

THE Gutters needed cleaning.

With a few nice days in the wings we decided to get out this morning and get at it.

OMG, the one long reach along the south side of the house had several buckets full of crap in it.

Amazing how much junk collects in the gutters over time.

Along with the gutters came a good dose of mossout granules to the roof caps to kill off the nasty green stuff that always seems to grow back every year.

Being a homeowner is such a joy eh ??

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
The winter weather is almost upon us.

The stoves are all ready to roll but there were still things left to do.

THE Gutters needed cleaning.

With a few nice days in the wings we decided to get out this morning and get at it.

OMG, the one long reach along the south side of the house had several buckets full of crap in it.

Amazing how much junk collects in the gutters over time.

Along with the gutters came a good dose of mossout granules to the roof caps to kill off the nasty green stuff that always seems to grow back every year.

Being a homeowner is such a joy eh ??

Snowy

Been an owner for 40+ years,can't imagine ever renting again, I'd go back to living in a tent on my own land, first. May not always be easy, generally ain't pretty, but it's MINE.

About the same here snowy,

I have to clean the gutters and rakes some more d@^^ leaves. Then once the outside is done. I plan to get ride of some junk down stairs to have more room for storing pellets.

Still hunting for pellets anyway. Just never know if a deal comes around. I guess I could always store them in my nicely covered boat(did that last weekend)!

Not ready for winter just yet!

Now be quiet, don't go jinxing us.

I need at least another 2 weeks to be ready for winter, need to finish expanding the vegetable garden, rearrange the inside of my large chicken coop, plant the tulip bulbs, relocate a few of my chickens from the small coop to the big one, rearrange the garage so the missus can have room to open the car doors, get a couple of trash cans full of sand, get the snow shovels and roof rake out from behind the summer stuff, fill up the gas cans for the snowblower, mow the lawn then run the lawnmower out of fuel and put it away, and .....

Bzzzt - Times up!!

Here comes that white stuff...... :-S

IMHO-------------There is NEVER enough time to get to ALL that needs to be done...... and when the snow shows? Well thats just MORE things that need attention....

Back to my first statement......

I put up the Gutter Guard mesh stuff this year, looks like hell and will take them down and put back up next year when the leaves start to fall, but I must say they did a great job. Before the Gutter Guard I got on the roof and cleaned them up with my leaf blower

Already started the snow blower this weekend and let it run for a while, and put Sta-bil in the lawn movers.

ct_administrator said:
Already started the snow blower this weekend and let it run for a while, and put Sta-bil in the lawn movers.

I always mean to get around to that... but somehow I end up trying to start it after the first snow storm...

A friend gave a a round wooden coin . It has the words, 'Round to' it, printed on it. I think a could fill a whole bag with 'round to its.
One year, I had to shovel off the snow to plant my spring bulbs. Will happen again if I don't get 'round to it.

Yesterday I also noticed that several of the long gutter nails had worked loose in the fashia boards and had allowed the gutters to sag slightly.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM this is not acceptable. Tooled on over to the hardware store and sorted through their huge selection of bolts and suich

AHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAA found some round headed tork drive lag bolts that are 6 inches long

Perfect to go right through the gutter nail thimbles and screw into the fashia boards.

Got 5 last night and gave them a try this morning. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, they go in and tighten right down tight.

Stopped and got 13 more to finish the one long 70 foot run on the south side.

The nails just can't hold well in the thin fashia board. (3/4 inch)

Gotta clean the two stove chimney vents too really soon.

The Advantage has a total 5 foot horizontal run and will collect ash in the lower half of the pipe.

Only take a second to suck it out with the shop vac.

Snowy

Got a few minutes this afternoon and finished off the gutter bolt thing and then this eavening just before dark, I got the pipes cleaned out on the two Whitfields.

Quicky suck job with the shop vac and the layer of ash on the horizontal pipe runs.

All ready now, Gutters cleaned, Stove pipes cleaned. Bring on the winter weather.

Just another week or so until I can get a load of shells from the nut plant.

The plant has not started cracking yet so no shells. The crop this year is somewhat less than the last couple years, so I will need to get it all in early.

Normally I can get a second load to top us off and run through till summer along about late February, but this year its gonna be all done by late December, maybe early January.

Where we are located the damp wet makes for a lot of moss and other crap on the roof and other places on the North side of the house.

Even the stainless chimney pipe collects green crap on the North side.

The only thing left is to toss some Mossout granules on a couple spots of the roof where the stuff causes issue.

Snowy

Snowy where do you get "Mossout granules"

Snowy Rivers said:
AHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAA found some round headed tork drive lag bolts that are 6 inches long

Perfect to go right through the gutter nail thimbles and screw into the fashia boards.

Snowy

Thats funny because about a year ago I saw a replacement for the gutter nails / spikes. It was a replacement screw kit of about 20 long length screws that fit perfect in place of the spikes. I staggered the screws along every gutter length and they are working great so far, no more sagging.

I'm glad I made that move

Normally the long "gutter nails" hold well for the life of the gutter.

My house is a triple wide Manufactured home, the main structure and interior are great.

6 inch exterior walls for good insulation and such.

The places that these cheese on these homes are the siding, the trim and such things.

The fashia boards are a Oriented strand board material thats about 5/8 to 3/4 thick

The nails go clean through and do not get a really good purchase unless they just happen to hit a Roof joist end or ???

The nails are about 3/16 diameter and the bolts are 5/16
The original hole was perfect for the screws so right in and tighten up very well.

I guess I cant complain too much, the original install has been up in the weather since fall of 93 now.

That 70 foot long gutter can hold a lot of crud and water that weighs a bunch.

The bucket of crap that we took out was about 150 lbs worth.

Just picking away at the little repairs that need doing.

Once the winter closes in hard, there will not be much outdoor work getting done, unless its pressing.

Like cleaning chimneys and pellet stoves ya know.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.