Precipitate/Film on HX coils in storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom in Maine said:
Beyond pH, when anyone is dealing with any kind of metal tank, I would consider a corrosion inhibitor from a company that specializes in the application
Tom in Maine

thanks Tom, I've heard that suggestion from a few people now and will do some research on inhibitors and see what might work in this situation.

Some Scum is ordinary and in my experience not at all harmful. Do not use chlorine! When the tank is heated above approximately 160 all life will be killed in the tank. Keep your PH between 8.2 and 8.6 and all will be just fine.

Piping history I think shows copper and SS of most types can coexist in a weak electrolyte no problem. If you use any brass, it must have a high copper content because if it is connected to SS, the Zinc will be stripped out leaving a very porous structure. The zinc is stripped very quickly and will lead to failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.