Prefab chimney safety question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindym1

Mar 16, 2011
virginia
I have a modular home with a Marco fireplace. It has a factory installed galvanized double wall chimey through the roof. I want to remove the fireplace, mantle and pipe all the way from the floor to the ceiling. I have bought an old Englander double door woodstove I want to put in it's place. If I leave the chimney from the ceiling to the rooftop do you think this would be safe to hook a woodstove to? I am not sure if it's a class A or B chimney but it appears to be the same doublewall pipe and thimble and cap that is sold at Lowes. I would appreciate any input you or advice you could give me as safety is my number one concern. Thanks, Cindy

cindym1 said:
I have a modular home with a Marco fireplace. It has a factory installed galvanized double wall chimey through the roof. I want to remove the fireplace, mantle and pipe all the way from the floor to the ceiling. I have bought an old Englander double door woodstove I want to put in it's place. If I leave the chimney from the ceiling to the rooftop do you think this would be safe to hook a woodstove to? I am not sure if it's a class A or B chimney but it appears to be the same doublewall pipe and thimble and cap that is sold at Lowes. I would appreciate any input you or advice you could give me as safety is my number one concern. Thanks, Cindy

Probably not. If it vented an open fire place, it's NOT rated for woodstove temps.
Replace every thing except the flashing.

We removed a Marco fireplace and replaced it with a stove, I can say for darn sure that our fireplace chimney was NOTHING like our class A except for being round and metal, and going out the chase. There is no way I would have hooked our stove up to it after having them side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.