Prefab Chimney- through the house or out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linesider

Jun 3, 2008
Southern CT
I've got some great advice from my short time on this site and have changed my initial plan. I was settling on putting my Jotul 3cb in the basement, but with some advice from the board and talking to the pros, I found two options open to me for putting the stove in my living room where it belongs.

My question now is this:

I can put the stove in a corner then run the pipe through the second floor closet (losing most of the closet space- which I am okay with in order to have the stove) then into the attic and out the roof.

or

I put the stove in another corner, near a couple of windows, out the wall and the run most of the prefab pipe up the side of the house above the roof line.

I am leaning towards keeping the stove in the corner and running the pipe through the house, from what I understand, the pipe will stay warmer in the house and have a better draft. It will also look better than running the pipe up the side of the house, because it exits the roof at the highest point.

Which is the safer installation? Part of me feels like its safer to get the chimney outside the house asap, in order to avoid potential hazards due to heat clearances and carbon monoxide? But maybe these thoughts are not warranted and any approved install with proper clearances is safe?

Any thoughts are appreciated.... Thanks again, John

Either way the pipe should be installed as safely as possible so this should not be the key issue. But without a doubt, keeping it in the interior of the house will be more attractive on the exterior and will give you a better functioning flue and stove. By keeping it inside you'll be avoiding a couple 90's and will have a straight shot for cleaning the flue. Less cold exposure will mean easier startups, better fall/spring behavior and a cleaner pipe.

With this config, your installation is almost identical to ours. I thought for about 30 minutes about a rear-exit and exterior chimney and no more. Running the pipe straight up was absolutely the right way to go.

Straight up. No question about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.