prefab firebrick / refractory panel replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miamichillin99

Oct 21, 2006
Hi. Being my first post let me start by saying what a great site this is. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good answer to my question. I have a 10 yr old prefab by Superior. The back metal panel in the firebox has a crack down the middle. I guess the old homeowners would toss wood in there like they were pitching a baseball. Do I need to replace it or can it be sealed with cement? The crack goes from the top to bottom of the back panel but I'm not sure how deep it goes. If I replace it should I buy the one from Superior which is very expensive, or buy an aftermarket one that needs to be cut to size?

Thanks in advance.

miamichillin99 said:
Hi. Being my first post let me start by saying what a great site this is. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good answer to my question. I have a 10 yr old prefab by Superior. The back metal panel in the firebox has a crack down the middle. I guess the old homeowners would toss wood in there like they were pitching a baseball. Do I need to replace it or can it be sealed with cement? The crack goes from the top to bottom of the back panel but I'm not sure how deep it goes. If I replace it should I buy the one from Superior which is very expensive, or buy an aftermarket one that needs to be cut to size?

Thanks in advance.

These panels are subject to cracking and a small hairline should not be a problem. Cleaning out the crack, wetting it and using some refractory cement to patch it should be fine. In fact, it should be fine as is. When larger chunks fall out, that might be the time to replace.

If and when you replace, either the original from Superior (Lennox) or the cut to fit would be fine.

Thank you so much for your informative answer. It does appear to be a hairline crack since I can't stick anything thicker that a sheet of paper in the crack. Coins are too thick such as dimes and pennies. Also if I do replace the panel(s) is cement used to join the four panels with each other; the floor and 3 walls?

Status
Not open for further replies.