Prefab fireplace confusion.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortney

Oct 22, 2012
My husband and I inherited our fireplace from the original owners of our condo. We are remodeling and have torn out the surround. We want to replace it but aren't sure how much non combustible material bust be in the sides before we can use wood. Everything I'm reading says that we need to follow manufacturers instructions, but we don't have that paperwork and we can't find any identifying information on the fireplace. Any tips on how we. Can find out how we need to approach this? Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 223
Look carefully around the inside frame of the door for a manufacturer's tag indicating the brand and model. Based on the picture it looks like there is sheetrock right up to the fireplace. Is that correct? If so, that is combustible and would have the same requirement as wood trim.

Good call! We did some looking and here is what we found:

UL Fireplace number U135282

And yes they have sheetrock all the way up to the fireplace unit. It's been that way since the house was built. Can we assume that this was safe per the original manufacturers instructions?

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 184
Looks like it's a Superior fireplace, but I can't read the model.

Some models of inserts are rated for ZC and others are not. Be careful, if you put the wrong thing in and there is a fire there could be insurance trouble.
Also, be careful about the advice you receive from the fireplace stores, we just went through this process and were given inaccurate advice.
These inserts get VERY hot! and could certainly set fire to your house if not installed properly.
We just put an insert in our ZC and are very happy with it, but it was a tortuous process to get the very right one.

That's good advice for anyone considering installing an insert in a ZC fireplace.

If I understand the OP correctly, in this case they are not considering installing an insert in the fireplace. They just want to change the surrounding trim, safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.