Prefab Replacement Options and Numerous Other Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dubb

Dec 11, 2012
I decided today that I lurked on these forums long enough and it was time to jump in so here goes nothing...

The house my wife and I purchased last year was built in 2001 and has a prefab Heatilator EC36 on the first floor. The unit is recessed on the outside wall and covered in vinyl siding that runs up to the roof however it does not run all the way to the ground. It was never used by the previous owners and from everything I've read and heard about these units is that there junk and don't bother. So ultimately I'd like to replace it with something more effective.

After doing a lot of reading on these forums I know I have a few options;

Replacing it with a more efficient prefab such as the Kozy Heat Z42

What kind of $ am I looking at? Will the fact that my setup just kind of sits on the outside of my house make a difference?

Another option is tearing the prefab out and installing a free standing wood stove. The guy at my local hearth place said this is the best option but would involve ripping the chimney off the side of the house.

Is this true? Would I be able to just extend the hearth and run the chimney back into the existing chimney? Is this the most cost effective method?

Lastly, building an alcove and installing a wood stove.

Will the structure support that since it doesn't run all the way to the ground?

I'm open for anything. I'd love to know if anyone has been in the same boat with their fireplace and chimney just kind of hanging off the side of their home.

For a tear out and Kozy replacement expect at least a $6K bill, maybe higher depending on whether the chimney pipe has to be replaced or not. A couple of the most cost effective options would be install an insert with liner or extend the hearth and drop a liner, then connect it to a freestanding, rear-vent stove.

If you use the Kozy Z-42 the chimney would need replaced with a class a system. It can be done, but would require removal of some drywall to expand the opening, and a new chase cover and possibly removal of some siding. We have done a few this way. But your cheapest option is going to be putting in an insert or a stove set-up like BG mentioned. There a few really nice units that are approved for pre-fabs. We did a Jotul today and this Hearthstone Clydesdale last week. Both were in pre-fabs.

Attachments

• clyde.jpg
    clyde.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 125
For a tear out and Kozy replacement expect at least a $6K bill, maybe higher depending on whether the chimney pipe has to be replaced or not. A couple of the most cost effective options would be install an insert with liner or extend the hearth and drop a liner, then connect it to a freestanding, rear-vent stove.

What would be some of the freestanding rear vent stoves you would recommend? I have been thinking of doing this with my Z/C set up but am really not that familiar with any rear venting stoves

Here is the Jotul that we did today. The chase was bumped out from the house and wasn't part of the basement. What you have is very common, when they do this the builder runs an additional set of floor joists out to support the chase. If you did the alcove thing, then you wouldn't have to remove the chimney chase as the guy said. You would need to remove the old fireplace and all the components, raise the ceiling height and replace the flue with class A chimney. You might not have enough width to actually recess a stove into the alcove though.

Attachments

• jotul.jpg
    jotul.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.