Prefab stainless or masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbajac

Mar 15, 2008
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
I have gotten tremendous feedback on the Woodstock Fireview free-standing woodfired stove on a previous discussion topic I posted this morning... pretty well convinced that this is the stove for me to supplement the natural gas forced air system I am planning for my new 2400sq.ft. well insulated home to be built this summer.

With the above said, any recommendations as to whether I should go with a prefabbed stainless steel chimney or a masonry chimney? Cost is very important at this point, so I Any input good or bad on either option would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
lumbajac

I was thinking the exact same thing when I go to build! If you go with Masonary eventually, even with a good mason, you will probably have to have it lined down the road! Also with a masonary you have to have a good footer which adds to the cost where as a prefab you don't! Also the prefab ss would probably be easier to clean!

Have you figured out the cost vs. each other?

Prefab SS chimney IMO would be best. You can enclose it in a chase and put face brick, full brick, or cultured stone on it. Or just the same siding as the rest of the house.

I'm with SS. you can see my masonary mass in my avatar, but it has a SS liner in it for the woodstove. Not just easier but you get better draft with the correct ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.