Prefab wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Got quite a load of wood to split and stack in the next few weeks. Having just moved in the fall, I'm busier than a one-armed paperhanger doing work on the new place, so time available for building a wood shed is zero. I could (and may) just stack outside and cover the tops of the stacks with plastic to shed rain and snow. Then again, with my stacking area clear and free, this would be the time to set up a shed, if I were going to do so.

Has anyone looked into using a pre-fab garage as a wood shed? I could have one delivered, and my invested time doesn't go beyond locating a supplier. What are the pro's and con's?

Thanks!

Got quite a load of wood to split and stack in the next few weeks. Having just moved in the fall, I'm busier than a one-armed paperhanger doing work on the new place, so time available for building a wood shed is zero. I could (and may) just stack outside and cover the tops of the stacks with plastic to shed rain and snow. Then again, with my stacking area clear and free, this would be the time to set up a shed, if I were going to do so.

Has anyone looked into using a pre-fab garage as a wood shed? I could have one delivered, and my invested time doesn't go beyond locating a supplier. What are the pro's and con's?

Thanks!

if you've got some $$ to spend....

http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/6x14woodbin.asp

i'm planning to just copy one of the designs and expand it for the 6 cords i need.

good luck!

OT

if you've got some $$ to spend....

http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/6x14woodbin.asp

i'm planning to just copy one of the designs and expand it for the 6 cords i need.

good luck!

OT

I think you've got the right idea . . . make it a bit bigger . . . and save your money. Over $2,500 for the kit . . . egads . . . I mean it looks good and with post and beam construction it's gotta to be wicked rugged, but it seems to me you could definitely build something a lot cheaper with local rough cut wood.

Thanks!

Are you talking about those pre-fabricated sheds at Home Depot and the like . . . or those fabric garages that go over a metal framework?

I know Dennis has a fabric garage that he has been storing wood in now for a little over a year I think . . .

If you're talking about the Home Depot sheds and the like . . . I would be a bit leery since I have no doubt that these floors are not built with someone sticking several cords of firewood inside -- rather I would guess they are built to hold a mower, weedbeater, hand tools, etc.

Very cool, but at that price, I'd expect it built and delivered! Could easily build myself, but time to do so does not exist in the near future.

If you're talking about the Home Depot sheds and the like . . . I would be a bit leery since I have no doubt that these floors are not built with someone sticking several cords of firewood inside -- rather I would guess they are built to hold a mower, weedbeater, hand tools, etc.

Good point, and it is what I was considering. If supported by nothing but concrete blocks under the corners, you're definitely right. But if fully supported by a row of block, or a leveled and compacted gravel base...?

Likely, I'm best just continuing to stack on pallets outdoors, until I can find time to build something proper, but it never hurts to ask!

Takes about 5-10 minutes to hand dig a post hole, unless you have clay or rocks. Just a couple/day and those are in, then the rest just kind of falls into place.
For 2500 I could probably build about 4 sheds. Maybe 5.
If I had it to do over, the shed would have come first......one bigger than I built. The house isn't going anywhere, but the wood needs a place to live.:cool:

Are you talking about those pre-fabricated sheds at Home Depot and the like . . . or those fabric garages that go over a metal framework?

I know Dennis has a fabric garage that he has been storing wood in now for a little over a year I think . . .

Nope. Not fabric Jake.

Thanks!

Joful, for not too much cash outlay you could put up an aluminum carport. Around here one can get them a low as $795 and that also includes the building of it. All you need to do is supply the level spot for them and they do the rest. A neighbor put one up for use with his OWB and I think the size is 18 x 23 with 9' sides. Works great. I would go lower but he wanted to be able to drive his tractor with FEL under it.

What we did was to buy the carport but instead of a carport, we enclosed it totally. There is an overhead door on both ends. One walk-in door and 4 windows plus the window on the walk-in door. We stack 3 cord in one corner in October and that is the wood for the whole winter. The rest is used for machinery and also the car. The only thing I wish is that we'd have went bigger and higher.

Moving wood.JPGTree trimming-3.JPG

Nope. Not fabric Jake.

My mistake . . . I should have known better . . . I've seen pics in the past. I think other members have gone with the fabric car ports though.

Joful, for not too much cash outlay you could put up an aluminum carport. Around here one can get them a low as $795 and that also includes the building of it. All you need to do is supply the level spot for them and they do the rest. A neighbor put one up for use with his OWB and I think the size is 18 x 23 with 9' sides. Works great. I would go lower but he wanted to be able to drive his tractor with FEL under it.

What we did was to buy the carport but instead of a carport, we enclosed it totally. There is an overhead door on both ends. One walk-in door and 4 windows plus the window on the walk-in door. We stack 3 cord in one corner in October and that is the wood for the whole winter. The rest is used for machinery and also the car. The only thing I wish is that we'd have went bigger and higher.

View attachment 65573View attachment 65574

Ah, bigger and higher . . . the common issue that most men have with garages and sheds . . . we almost always wish we had built/bought them bigger.

Right Jake. It is pretty common. ;lol

Yep. As BackwoodsSav said, a carport is prob the cheapest way (other than DIY, but you said your crunched on time). Can get a pretty large Car Port w/open sides for under $1,000. The place I bought my Mower from (and my Fahrenheit dealer) sells them. They have several small examples built. They also have a 20x21 enclosed (basically a garage) w/ car door and a man door for about $3,000. Thats built. All prices include delivery and construction.
But many small ones can be had for cheap.

Just one word of advice if you do go the carport way. Check to see when it will be set up before you lay down any dollars. A neighbor bought one and waited several months before they came with the crew. When we bought, I checked a few places, got the prices and then called the manufacturer (most dealers have no idea when it will be delivered). One place where I wanted to purchase, I called to find they could not answer when it would be delivered. They said they had no other orders so would wait for some and the best they could tell me would be a minimum of 6 weeks and probably longer. So, I went with a different dealer. The price was $100 more from this dealer but I placed the order on Thursday afternoon (or maybe Friday; danged loss of memory...) and on the following Monday they were here in the afternoon. They completed the installation that day too.

I built a 4 cord woodshed for about $200, probably less. I used parts of 4 x 12 skids from work, they had nice 4x4 posts as stringers. I bought a few 2x8 KD, a few rough cut trim boards, 5 sheets of OSB, some drip edge, screws, & JRK lag bolts, (expensive, but the best of the best, and they are re-useable). I made some heavy aluminum brackets to put on the bottom of the corner 4x4's, this is what it sits on, no blocks, concrete, or holes. I got some used conveyor belt for the roof, free, & bought some tarpaper to underlay it. Turned out nice, and worked awesome, (this past winter was the 1st), but took WAY more time than I originally planned.

Dennis or anyone in or near mid-michigan. I am very interested in an enclosed garage/pole building in the 20x? 30 - 40? and have been looking around for a good price. I could errect it but if you can get it delivered and installed for those prices you are talking about I am thinking let someone esle do it.

Leads, websites, numbers?? please

I sent you PM Dennis - thanks in advance for any help

Bob Urban

I'm liking the carport idea, assuming I can find something attractive enough. Will check some out this week. Would prefer building myself, but right now there's just no daylight hours to spare.

Thanks!

Here is the a brochure. Its Carolina Carports. They have downloadable brochures online. In case this does not show.

If you can download the PDF. Then you will see the 18'x21'x6' for under $900. That should hold some wood.

Attachments

• redstandard.pdf
    908.6 KB · Views: 399

View attachment 65573View attachment 65574

Dennis, did you enclose it yourself or was that part of the package?

Dennis or anyone in or near mid-michigan. I am very interested in an enclosed garage/pole building in the 20x? 30 - 40? and have been looking around for a good price. I could errect it but if you can get it delivered and installed for those prices you are talking about I am thinking let someone esle do it.

Leads, websites, numbers?? please

I sent you PM Dennis - thanks in advance for any help

Bob Urban

Got it Bob. Looking for the information now.

Dennis, did you enclose it yourself or was that part of the package?

That is part of the package. Most of them do it that way. What you need to do is specify what you want. Sides? Ends? Doors? Windows? etc. One big thing is the anchors. They come standard with just rebar driven into the ground. Us, being on sand, I ordered several earth anchors rather than the rebar.

All they require from you is a level spot. When they come, you show them where to put it and then sit back and watch. Usually it is a Mexican team and these guys worked super fast.Naturally we offered them some drink and even a few snacks.

A down payment is required when you order and that is what the dealer gets. The rest is paid after the shed is put up.

The link I provided earlier looks like nothing... But click on it and it will download the PDF and it has sizes, prices, etc on it.

Here it is again. If you didnt click on it before.

Attachments

• redstandard.pdf
    908.6 KB · Views: 309
Status
Not open for further replies.