preheating flue troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chris_milburt

Dec 5, 2015
calgary
Hello,

Longtime lurker first time poster and apologies if this has been covered.

I Have an osburn matrix wood insert, installed probably 8-10 years ago and love it. I did not install it but I understand it should have a 6" Flu but I recal there were some issues in the install where they had to use a narrower flu than intended. I took the fireplace out a few years ago to install a block off plate.

Here in alberta canada it gets cold in the winter and the fireplace will be quite cold with a small bit of ice build up. regardless if its very cold or a little cold I had a huge issue with pre-heating the flu. I will take a propane brazing torch and stick it awkwardly up the flu, preheat the the baffles for several minutes and inevitably when I start the fire it will smoke like crazy and i have to turn on a air purifier etc.

I think I follow most proceeders I have read on this forum, closing off the room, opening the window etc. but even with all efforts I am guaranteed 3-4 smoke outs before a successful draft is achieved. Does anyone have any advice? should I just get a full blown flamethrower to prehear the flu? leave the room closed with window open for an hour?

How tall is the flue? Is the 6" liner insulated?

You need a small space heater with a plywood shelf and face. 10-15 minutes good to go...when is the last time you cleaned your chimney? If you have a flu probe you could watch the heater at work.. you tube -

Wood Burning Stove Draft Inducer | On the Mark with Mark​

How tall is the flue? Is the 6" liner insulated?
no sure exact hieght but it is a 2 story house. It is not insulated. Onther thing I wish I gave more oversight on during install. I shouved a ton of insulation above the block off plate, but again, just in that area.

You need a small space heater with a plywood shelf and face. 10-15 minutes good to go...when is the last time you cleaned your chimney? If you have a flu probe you could watch the heater at work.. you tube -

Wood Burning Stove Draft Inducer | On the Mark with Mark​

chimney was cleaned a few years ago, but it has not been used much since then (parents house and I have not lived there since).

When it was cleaned not much came out so I doubt there is much debri now either

If you dont preheat good the only other wire is small fast fire. It could be the wind pushing cold air down and not much you can do...but try the heater trick.

If you dont preheat good the only other wire is small fast fire. It could be the wind pushing cold air down and not much you can do...but try the heater trick.
does anyone have a picture of this heater? i assume its just some way to pro the heater so it blows into the box? I thought of this but was worried about blowing ash out

Any cheap square or round heater will work..I put a piece of 1/2 flexible shipping foam on inside to keep the ash from coming out gap. A cut a hole in foam and plywood for heater opening.

I have massive inversion problem, use a hair dryer if cold and I need to get it going up the chimney.

Just used my heat gun this morning as the temperatures were warm, but I wanted one for the early mornings. Less than 10 minutes later i was starting a fire...

Reactions: MR. GLO
An insulated liner will heat up quicker. Preheating and a top-down fire start with good dry kindling should help.