1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Premium Wood Pellet fuel (AWF) from lowes

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by nayslayer, Sep 13, 2013.

1. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    I've done a some research and generally are a decent pellet. Most of these comments were from over a year ago. I picked up these Hardwoods from Lowes a few weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone has had some recent experience. I've burned a half bag this year and seem much better than the Green Supreams. Only groan is that there are a lot of dust.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I have not seen these at lowes. I will have to take another look but would think these are one of their better offerings. What was the price?
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

I've burned the AWF's in the past w/ good success. I don't sweat the dust.....I put the top of the bag down into my hopper, slice across the top w/ a razor knife, and slowly pull the bag up.
    Augmister likes this.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

I bought a ton of them, and also of the Timber Heat's....both burned well in my stove in the past.

At $209/ton, a good deal, IMO.
  5. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA

I tried some Timber Heats ....a steal for 209!!!
  6. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    Glad to hear. I know the horse is out of the barn, but picked up five tons @ 209 as well
  7. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    I seen them at lowes today, would like to try them but the 3 skids they had were water damaged
  8. jeanine

jeanine Member

Loc:
    long island ny
    I got timber heats also, glad they did well for you, hope they will for me too!!!
    Brroland19 likes this.
  9. mik_kane

mik_kane Member

Loc:
    NEPA Poconos
    I saw them at Lowes and the guy working there said the AWF's were half softwood and half hardwood is this true? I was in a rush and never looked at the bag closely but did take a quick picture.

Attached Files:

• AWF.jpg
      AWF.jpg
      File size:
      250.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  10. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    AWF website says blend of hardwood fibers.

American Wood Fibers' Premium Wood Pellet Fuel is a blend of quality hardwood fibers
  11. bill3rail

bill3rail Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    LI, NY
    I purchased 2 ton last week, I hope they are a decent pellet.
    Then again, it really does not matter as long as they put out heat, I don't care!

Whatever they do will heat my house.

Bill
  12. Nick of PA

Nick of PA New Member

Loc:
    central pa
    I bought a bag of these at a local Lowes yesterday for $4.80 a bag to test them in my CAB50 and tried them this morning. Way more dust/fines than the O'Malley's that I have been using, however there seems to be a little more heat than the O'Malley's. Overall, if you don't mind the dust/fines, I would recommend them as my CAB50 seems like burning them and the heat is pretty decent. Also bought a bag of Clean Energy from Lowes again for $4.80/bag. Will post experience with these.

Nick
  13. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    So far so good. Way better than the green supremes i 've been burning the last few years. Fines are off the chart though
  14. magsf11

magsf11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    buffalo ny
    burned a bag of the timber heats also. the stoved liked them ash was very low, as for the fines/dust wasn't anyworse that what I have had in the past. btw my local lows also has a lot of water damaged pellets.
  15. jeanine

jeanine Member

Loc:
    long island ny
    Just tried the green supremes, omg soo bad, the heat was good but sooo much ash and clinkers too!!!
    jlupi likes this.
  16. mipellet1

mipellet1 New Member

Loc:
    mid mi
    hey guys I am new to the whole pellet world. I have been burning only a week. bought stove at tsc and two bags of propell a couple bags of another mi brand Vulcan wood pellets. today I tweak the stove cleaned out the Vulcan hate them no heat out of them. now I have awf hardwood and now have the stove running the best so far thing I going to stick with the awf. my question is how do you know the pellets are water logged is the store are they telling you or do you know by damage to bag?
  17. AGPNY

AGPNY New Member

Loc:
    New york
    i burned about 3 bags of AWF that i got at lowes for 4.18 a bag i think they burned nice and hott but a little ash the color of the pellets are light brown most pellets i have seen are darker does any one know if there is a diffence in color?
  18. jack kunicki

jack kunicki Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    I bought two bags of nature's own, 2 bags of timber heats and two bags of awf. All three were comparable but i liked the awfs the least.
  19. Danny9909

Danny9909 Member

Loc:
    Southern,Ma
    The lowes in my town only sells green team and some other low quality pellet.
    I bought some green team and was surprise of the heat they put out.
  20. Nick of PA

Nick of PA New Member

Loc:
    central pa
    I too felt the green team put out good heat
  21. stevemartin

stevemartin New Member

Loc:
    Hagerstown, MD
    My stove did not do well with the AWF's. I got lots of ash and way too many clinkers.
  22. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    Well after almost 2 tons, I like these pellets. My only beef is fines, and clinkers. Never understood what they were until i had some hanging over the pot. I'd buy them again.
  23. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    Premium softies, no fines, no clinkers, low ash and outstanding heat. If ya guys are gonna buy box store brands, there is always a draw back as stated in this post.
  24. mipellet1

mipellet1 New Member

Loc:
    mid mi
    Do you go through more soft wood pellets then hardwood?
  25. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    So far, no. The density is the same but the heat is much greater. The stove tends to run less with the higher output temps. Feed rate so far is consistent with last years hardwood brands. Read my post
    So far the answer is no. The density of the softies are about the same but the benefits are hotter convect air temp and the stove tends to run less. I did a stove efficiency comparison using Somersets last year. I will redo with the Softies this year. http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/palazzetti-ecofire-prima-efficient-it-is.120295/