'Premium Wood Pellet' MWP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AVIVIII

Dec 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Well I have officially converted my wife!

She came home and said, "I was in Tractor Supply and they had some pellets that I hadn't seen before. There was a sample sitting on top that said they were a blend, so I smelled them and they they smelled okay. They looked like a good deal, so I picked up 3 bags to try."

God, I love her.

They are labeled simply "Premium Wood Pellets" but under it they say "Made in Maine" and then MWP.

img20110126131706.jpg

Are these re-bagged Maine Woods? Between being a 'blend' and the MWP stamp, I would think so??

Haven't burned them yet, I will after my next cleaning when I have a fresh hopper.

Anyone else used these?

BTW, TSC in Chichester, NH: $4.60?/bag or $225/ton.

If she carried them into the house after buying them I think I might love her. Let us know how they burn. They sure look like Maine Woods to me.

I burned a few bags of those "unofficially" and was impressed with them. Not sure if they are only bagged for TSC. There seems to be several MWP "new" bags this season.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You need the pallet ticket to find out when that was actually produced the current bag has a cabin on it here is what the current (December bag looks like) https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/711761/ .

I have burned a few bags of the log cabins and liked them. The only reason I didn't commit to Maine Woods was that I couldn't get them around here for a decent price. I wasn't about to drive 4 hours into ME each way with my trailer for 1 or 2 tons, they don't make small deliveries anywhere near me and the local dealers that had them wanted the same money for those as Okies and Vermonts.

If these turn out to actually be real Maine Woods, I might buy a couple tons for next year.

***UPDATE***

Just called up to Maine Woods Pellet Company, the number dialed resulted in an actual person who was very nice.

She informed me that they are indeed Manie Woods Pellets, same product and everything that they bag specifically for wholesale resellers.

Guess I should have just called first!

just think...last year this mill couldn't give pellets away.....now look at the glowing reviews....maybe they have improved beyond the "enviormentally safe traction for icy walkways" they have been known for....
They catch fire...that would be an improvement!

PFI stamp?

Eric

j-takeman said:
kinsman stoves said:
PFI stamp?

Eric

Yes! But honestly does it really matter?

Nope.

Inferno is PFI but Okanagan and Vermont are't? Yeah, I don't put a whole lot of stock in that.

Ive burned through a ton of them so far this season, and dont think ill buy anymore. Now that the cold weather has moved in,Im burning my Prest to logs(kmart 260 ton)..Walmart and TSC both have MWP for 190 a ton here in Presque isle....The Pres to logs seem to throw way more heat for me.(just pricey)...On a tragic side note, coming home from work tonight someone pulling out of TSC with a full ton of MWP on back,dumped most of it in the road after pullin out of the parking lot..I could hear the pellets flinging out of my tires as I went around the scene. :roll:

Darn, I thought I had found something new! You beat me to it.
I was just out pellet shopping and stopped by HD to see what they had and found these.
When I saw the "MWP", I didn't hesitate. $4.18/bag (=$209/ton). Bought 10. Not as good a price as
the Stove Chow or Fireside Ultras were a few weeks ago, but still not bad.

I have a bag and a half of Cubex to finish up. I will be into these by tomorrow afternoon. I'll post some
feedback on them in a couple of days.

So, I guess MWP is getting into the "big box" stores with these. I wonder how different they are from the ones in their normal bags?

according to the woman that I talked to they are exactly the same product, same plant, same trees same bag, different printing.

I am on my third ton. I'll miss them when I have to go back to using my stash of Energex. Good heat from Energex, but oh, the ash!

Just acquired a bag of MWP with the stove on the white bag, when I get a chance to burn I will report.

So, I just realized I never gave a feedback report.. I burned through the 10 bags I bought. My verdict: same as I thought before... average.... Ash amount was pretty good in the ash pan, but I had an awful lot in the firebox. Heat, I am not so sure about. I need to get a thermometer. The stove seemed to be struggling to maintain the heat, but to be fair I was burning them during a really cold stretch when it was down to single digits at night and not much above 20F during the day. Would I buy them again? For the current box store price, yes. Much more and I am not so sure.

Oh, and when I went back to HD to get more, they were out. In fact, they didn't have any pellets at all in stock.

I just moved the MWP into my house bin. When I started dumping them into my coal hod first thing I noticed was a strange odor, chemical I guess.
Has anyone else noticed a strange odor, never experienced it with the Energex or Spruce Pointe and a few Pennington I have burned.

I got my hands on seven bags of the MWP with the log house? on the bag. Very good heat but a bit more ash than the Barefoots I have been burning all winter. Will see if I can score some at a good price April-May....

I like them, I picked up two tons and they burn hot in my Harman with very little ash. They do have a funny smell to them almost like a chemical or something.

Yeah, Steveo and slls - I bought a pallet of the MWP recently and as soon as I opened the first bag I also smelled a strong odor. I'm from Maine too, so I suspect we got pellets from the same lot. I actually called MWP to find out about it and one of the guys told me it could be that those particular pellets were produced during the summertime when the sawdust may have sat in the sun too long causing it to get rancid. I never heard of that. And unlike most people I don't empty the bags directly into the stove because 40 lbs. is just too heavy/stove is too tall for me, etc. (I'm 5'2"), so I dump 1 bag at at time into a big planter pot and use a feed scoop to scoop the pellets into the stove. Works for me. But keeping the pellets out in the open air is really stinky, so I've covered up the pot with a plastic tablecloth and it lessens the smell. Other than the smell, the pellets are fine - they burn smoothly, although they seem to burn a bit faster than the Cubex I had before. Time will tell how much ash they'll produce - I'm only on my second bag.

I don't notice any odor other than the faint aroma of fresh cut wood. Wood aroma only noted while pouring the pellets into the hopper. I have been getting my MWP from the dealer in Jay who has been selling them for $199. delivered. He gets them from the pellet plant weekly and keeps them undercover. Burn hot and less ash than my Canadian Energex.

I got my two tons from the guy in Jay and like 10 bags from tractor supply and both batches have the smell

They are using more softwood in the mix now, that's what I smell the spruce and fir. And no problems having burned 3 tons so far, we had some night time temps near -20 a few weeks ago and the stove kept us warm enough.

Sorry MWP, I am going to put my one bag in the trash, let them make electricity out of them.
Maybe just me, I can't stand the smell. I will be going to get 3 ton Energex.

Status
Not open for further replies.