Premix: Good? Bad? Worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't they have water separating filters?? Also with the E duel it will absorb that water now a days!!

I was working at a gas station 20+ years ago, so this was pre-ethanol. In those days they just made sure the tank sump was 6" above the floor of the tank, so you could have up to 6" of water standing in the tank, before any would get sucked into the pump. They would have this water pumped out a few times a year, when it got too high, but I got the impression that's an expense they try to avoid as long as possible.

OK so ur talking back then. I would think today there I separating filters or I would hope so.

OK so ur talking back then. I would think today there I separating filters or I would hope so.
Today is probably less of an issue than back in the day. With the E in todays fuel it will tend to absorb the water. Pure gas won't.

As has been mentioned the ethanol is mostly bad for the rubber carb diaphragms. YellownFuel lines are tygon and i believe e safe. Anything built in the last 10+ years has e10 safe rubber. I don't worry about it.

I buy plain old regular in 5 gallon jugs and mix with stabil. From the 5gal I make up 2 stroke mix 1/2 to 1 gal at a time as needed. Every 6 months whats left in the 5 gal cans go into the SUV and I refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.