Prep for painting stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtomew

Dec 23, 2007
N.W.Ohio
What kind of prep as in sanding is needed for a couple of rust spots on my stove?Also is Rustoleum high heat enamel ok for this use?

Usually a wire brush cleans up rust spots nicely. The most commonly used stove paints are made by Stove Brite. Often a high temp BBQ paint or exhaust manifold paint can also be used. If you use Stove Brite, be sure to have lots of ventilation. Outdoors is best. Your brain cells will thank you.

Also, if using Stove Brite, do a test on the back of the stove first. This is an acetone based paint and not compatible with some other types of paint. I found this out the hard way on our Simpson DVL pipe. In that case, Krylon high temp satin black was compatible.

Wire wheel on a cordless drill works great for removing the rust.
BG covered the paint aspect so, nothing to add there.

I used Rustoleum High Heat flat black to touch up my stovepipe after post-sweep reassembly. Went on nicely and blended right in. Says it's good to 1200 F. Rick

Am I the only one that likes the smell of paint? ;)

No, hog, there are at least two of us. Rick

AHHHHHH ;)

For some reason the more I smell the paint the better the job looks.
Don

Makes the job go faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.