Preparation for fireplace insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtp

Oct 31, 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
I've had a fireplace insert in the garage since last December, and now that it's getting cold I really want to get it in this Saturday. I have all the tool and pieces, I just need to prep the fireplace. My question is how thorough do I have to be in cleaning the fireplace, repairing cracks, filling gaps, etc. Do I have to chip out and replace all loose mortar between the bricks? Do I have to scrub every surface free of creosote? The flue liner with insulation is zero clearance, so is a little bit of creosote really a problem? The flue itself has been swept, however there is some creosote in hard to reach places.

Here are some pictures of the current condition.

20161010_101954.jpg

20161010_102009.jpg

20161010_102019.jpg

20161010_102036.jpg

20161010_102050.jpg

20161010_102132.jpg

repairing cracks, filling gaps, etc. Do I have to chip out and replace all loose mortar between the bricks?
no need to repair cracks they will not be an issue once the insert is in there.

Do I have to scrub every surface free of creosote? The flue liner with insulation is zero clearance, so is a little bit of creosote really a problem? The flue itself has been swept, however there is some creosote in hard to reach places.
Yes you need to get the creosote off. That insulation is only zeroclearance to the outside of the masonry not to the insulation.

no need to repair cracks they will not be an issue once the insert is in there.

Yes you need to get the creosote off. That insulation is only zeroclearance to the outside of the masonry not to the insulation.

Would brushing with a nylon brush be sufficient for the creosote? The flue itself seems clean, but there's some on the lintel and around the damper. Seems last time they got a cleaning they just ran a brush through the flue. Thanks.

Would brushing with a nylon brush be sufficient for the creosote? The flue itself seems clean, but there's some on the lintel and around the damper. Seems last time they got a cleaning they just ran a brush through the flue. Thanks.
It might be it might not be it all depends upon how dirty it is and what type of creosote is there

Status
Not open for further replies.