preparing for my first okie burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
The temps here have finally fallen enough to warrant my test of the okies. im finishing up a hopper of freedom fuel and then I will clean out the stove wash the glass and I will be ready to test.

While preparing don't forget to take off the thermal underwear and fleece and put on some shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops.

:coolsmile:

That's exactly what I want to hear, im hoping to burn a couple bags but keep a few till friday its supposed to be 19 degrees!

80 pounds of Okies in my 115 pound hopper. Don't ask me where I am supposed to put there other 35 pounds. Maybe okies are the Chuck Norris of the pellet world. Okies can fill any size hopper they wan't. Okies don't burn hotter the air around them is just cold with fear. You see what I am saying....

Attachments

• hopper.jpg
    hopper.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 286
Thanks BTU now if we could just find a place I dont have to buy a $45 membership to buy a ton at a reasonable price!

dhungy said:
80 pounds of Okies in my 115 pound hopper. Don't ask me where I am supposed to put there other 35 pounds. Maybe okies are the Chuck Norris of the pellet world. Okies can fill any size hopper they wan't. Okies don't burn hotter the air around them is just cold with fear. You see what I am saying....

Okies once had an awkward moment........just to see how it felt. Okies can speak fluid French...in Russian. They are...THE MOST INTERESTING PELLET IN THE WORLD.

Stay toasty my friends.... ;-P

lol

ok so I am not blown away yet were almost 2 hours into the burn and its not "hot" feeling yet the feed control is on the highest medium which is where i normally run it. The house was cold when it started up so it has had alo to make up for its gone from 62 to 74 in the room that the stove is in. which means its probably 68 and lower in the rest of the house...

dhungy said:
ok so I am not blown away yet were almost 2 hours into the burn and its not "hot" feeling yet the feed control is on the highest medium which is where i normally run it. The house was cold when it started up so it has had alo to make up for its gone from 62 to 74 in the room that the stove is in. which means its probably 68 and lower in the rest of the house...

A lot of hype for an expensive pellet, if some other brands got all the free advertising on this site that okies get you'd find all kinds of "super pellets" out there. Don't get me wrong they are very good but I think people have gotten a little carried away with them, and they are pricey.

I am starting to wonder if there is more hype then anything else

BJN644 said:
dhungy said:

A lot of hype for an expensive pellet, if some other brands got all the free advertising on this site that okies get you'd find all kinds of "super pellets" out there. Don't get me wrong they are very good but I think people have gotten a little carried away with them, and they are pricey.

Well, I don't know much being new at this but here is what I've found so far:

Okies got our house at 70-72 1st floor and 69- 70 on 2nd floor running basically on 'medium' setting. And then we actually turned the stove down to low. edit: got that "hot" feeling for sure.

Turmans burning now are close to hitting same temps.

Rockies and OMalleys did not do this.

I've a few bags of Barefoots yet to try.

As for price. I paid $250/ton for Okies. Each other brand above was $30-40/ton more.

So as far as I can tell the cheapest pellets I've burned so far also appear to be the warmest for us. Not hype just our 'non scientific' findings.

:)

dhungy said:

I don't know exactly how big the room is, but do you know how many people wish they could raise the temp 12 degrees in 2 hours from a cold start? Not too shabby in my book.

What do you have the air control set at?

Oh, and BTW.....looking at your pic above, you have plenty of room for more pellets.......fill that hopper right to the edges!

dhungy said:
dhungy I have the same stove as you and ironically I decided to break out my first batch of oakies today.I dont want to be too quick to jump on the band wagon but I have to admit I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.I have been burning NEWP(Jaffrey N.H.)which I think are pretty decent,its 28 here and to maintain a house temp of 70 when its 25 to 30 degrees outside I set the feed rate at 2 with the blower speed at 3.With the oakies at those same settings temp was 74.7 and rising.The true test will be this weekend with lows in the lower singles.

Yes, I am now having similar results. Actually the temp had risen to the high 90 degrees on feed rate 3. In the last 3 hours I lowered it to feed rate 2 and we are staying steady at 82. As you said with temps lowering this weekend I am happy to test these pellets under a more extreme situation. I am also down to 20 bags of my junky freedom fuel. Im considering picking up a couple hundred pounds of corn. I have had 3 auger jams with these freedom fuel pellets. Im hoping the corn will help the pellets flow better hand help my pellets last a few days longer. So far since november I have gone through 1 ton of energex 30 bags of freedom fuel and probably 15 bags of test pellets. Not to mention 300 pounds of corn. anyone tell me if this is pretty good?

Status
Not open for further replies.