Preparing for the installer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2011
South Puget Sound
I'm negotiating a little with my installer by offering to do what I can to make things easier for him. My ideas were to:

1. Remove the glass doors over the fireplace opening.
2. Vacuum out the firebox.
3. Remove the damper.
4. Remove the cap (I have a large internal chimney with three flues, all covered with a large metal cap.

He said if I got these things done he would take $200 off the install estimate, but if it turned out that he had to torch out the damper (because it was a heatilator), that could add $150 back on.

I've done steps 1 and 2. I've read a couple threads on here about damper removal. Some say it's a matter of finding the one bolt or cotter pin, and it comes out. Others say it's welded into the masonry, and to just use a hacksaw, sawzall, or angle grinder to cut a hole for the liner. But I think it depends on the kind of damper you have? My house was built in 1961 in western Washington state. I don't own a sawzall or angle grinder, but I guess I could get a new blade for the old hacksaw and have a go at it, if I knew where to cut. Any suggestions for the damper? Are there other things I can do to make things easier for the installer?

Here's what it looks like:

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 198
6er of beer and a couple sandwiches would make me happy if I was doing the install.

You're too easy Nate.

GiW, get a cheap, chinese grinder and you should be able to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.