Preparing for this heating season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LONDONDERRY

May 23, 2008
New Hampshire
All-
This weekend my wife and I are going remove our Napoleon 1402 fireplace insert, then clean out the chimney and snake down a 6”flex liner. Last year was my first heating season and I ran into some issues that might effect this weekend’s cleaning so I need some of your opinions and advise before tackling this job.
1.The inner dimensions of our chimney liner are 6-1/2” 10-1/2”, the clay liner tiles are not perfectly aligned when stacked one on top of the other. The chimney length is 15’ just in case you’re wondering. Last fall there was a long delay in just getting the stove from the vendor, because of this I ran in a time crunch for properly lining the chimney, so I did a direct disconnect with 6’ of the flex liner go up into the chimney. I do plan on correcting this. However, I’m concerned that a 6 “diameter will hang up on a flue tile went snaking it down the chimney. I called manufacture on the stove and they DO NOT recommend I use a 5-1/2” diameter flex liner as it will be undersized. So any tips or tricks on

2.Another issue is creosote buildup. The stove manufacturer clearly says do not run the stove hotter than 600F. So for the first month, in October was running the stove at most 450F, I bought a cheap magnetic based thermometer and placed it on top of the stove with the hot air comes out at. Furthermore, I climbed on my roof and looked down the chimney and saw that all the clay liner tiles where black glazed over. Is this considered Stage 1 creosol or not? So in a panic I went to a stove shop bought a lot of creosol preventers and removers and the sales person there told me I was not running the stove hot enough and gave me some tips and tricks, such as a morning hot burn, which I followed the rest of the season. So one question, is I know that I have to wire brush out the chimney before I install a flex liner, but should I all so remove the glazed on creosol before or not? And if I do what product should I buy to do this?

3.So here are my tasks and please let me know if I’ve missed one or two.
Remove stove and pipe from fireplace, sweep chimney and inspect afterwards for glazed creosol, install flex liner kit, replacing cracked firebrick, touchup stove with stove paint, clean out blower motors and reinstall stove.

Frank

On your liner issue - I am running a 5.5" liner in a unit with a manufacturer recommendation of 6" - with 0 draft issues. I think quite a few others are doing it as well, including some very long time burners. Can't help you with the tips on how to get the liner in but personally I would not shy away from the 5.5" liner IF the 6" won't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.