prepping for new furnace purchase. ?’s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vwboomer

Dec 5, 2008
wisconsin
I pulled out the home built unit that was installed in the basement today to get ready for a purchase of a new wood furnace. I am planning on the Daka from Menards but now I'm not sure it will work.
Any advice appreciated.
The existing hole in the chimney is a whopping 9 inches. The center of the hole is only 55 inches from the floor. The top of the pipe out of the Daka is 41". I'm thinking this isn't enough room for a baro damper much less a regular damper even if I go to the top of the existing chimney hole. By my math it leaves 18" from the center of the flue pipe to 3" down from the top of the chimney hole.
A USS 1557 from TSC would give me maybe another 1.5" since it's a shorter unit.

Is my only option to knock another hole in the chimney higher? I'm not sure that's a good idea from a structural standpoint.
Any thoughts? Go with it but skip a baro damper?

*edit* the current chimney size is, I think, 11x7.

I thought the thread was fine in the other forum, but that's fine.

If the baro damper can be installed horiz I think I'll have enough room even if I have to move it out a bit from the chimney. There are no combustible walls or floors to worry about, just keeping the hot air connection to the main furnace plenum with as few bends as possible.

Check the manuals on the Baro's you are looking at, and the furnace install manual - you may be able to put the unit in horizontally, or BELOW the furnace outlet using a tee connector...

The other thing to look at is the cross sectional areas of the existing chimney and the outlet on the new furnace... You may be required by code to install a liner to get within the C.S. limits, and almost certainly will improve your performance by doing so, especially if you use an insulated liner.

Gooserider

I would like to get a liner and if money permits I will do so before installing the furnace. just got done sweeping the chimney and it was very clean after about 3 months burning towards the end of winter. I kept the thermo on the front of the 'furnace' at between 400-700 and the outlet temp may have been about 400-500 - kept it pretty clean I guess.
Flue measures 9.5x6.5 ID. Not enough for a 6" round insulated. maybe 5.5 or oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.