Prepping for the install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Sep 17, 2006
Toronto
I'm getting ready for the install...setting up all mods except the actual install. Will be putting in Micore and Durock under the new insert in solid masonry exterior firebox. Just occurred to me....... there is a clean out flush with floor of the existing firebox. The clean out has a cast iron plate (original) that sits flush. The clean out goes down through the existing block wall to an equally sized opening with cast plate on the vertical in the basement directly below about 4 feet above the slab.

Am I good to cover the plate at the fire box with the micore and durock, or do I need to make some provisions for this hollow?

I think it will be fine to cover unless perhaps you want to bring a fresh intake air up through the cleanout? What are you installing?

Using Durock and Micore as the existing hearth is too short. Code here requires 18". The Micore will bring it up to the required R value and the Durock is to protect the Micore. Will tile over this. If I didn't have to do this, I wouldn't.

The old clean out is a chute that is in the block wall and will have no use in the future (I never used it anyway). Micore will lay on top of this on floor of the old firebox. I was thinking of cementing in the exit of the clean out where it opens into the basement.

Will not be going with a fresh air intake. Installing a Hampton insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.