1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Prepping for the install

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mike, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike

Mike New Member

Loc:
    Toronto
    I'm getting ready for the install...setting up all mods except the actual install. Will be putting in Micore and Durock under the new insert in solid masonry exterior firebox. Just occurred to me....... there is a clean out flush with floor of the existing firebox. The clean out has a cast iron plate (original) that sits flush. The clean out goes down through the existing block wall to an equally sized opening with cast plate on the vertical in the basement directly below about 4 feet above the slab.

Am I good to cover the plate at the fire box with the micore and durock, or do I need to make some provisions for this hollow?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think it will be fine to cover unless perhaps you want to bring a fresh intake air up through the cleanout? What are you installing?
  3. recppd

recppd New Member

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    I'm a bit confused. Why are you using Micore and Durock for an insert install in a masonry fireplace?
  4. Mike

Mike New Member

Loc:
    Toronto
    Using Durock and Micore as the existing hearth is too short. Code here requires 18". The Micore will bring it up to the required R value and the Durock is to protect the Micore. Will tile over this. If I didn't have to do this, I wouldn't.

The old clean out is a chute that is in the block wall and will have no use in the future (I never used it anyway). Micore will lay on top of this on floor of the old firebox. I was thinking of cementing in the exit of the clean out where it opens into the basement.

Will not be going with a fresh air intake. Installing a Hampton insert.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.