President's Day Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudbug250

Burning Hunk
Dec 17, 2011
Central Mississippi
I scrounged a blown over oak off of my FILs pasture, only took the trunk this time. Got 14 rounds that where 16 inches in diameter or bigger. I then went and cut about 10 rounds (all that could fit in my mule) from a load of logs that turned over in a ditch not far from my house. I got it all split and stacked and turned out to be 1/2 cord.

So you're saying about 24 nice-sized rounds is a 1/2 cord? Nice to know. I have never taken the time to figure out how the conversion from rounds to stacked cords.

Cut to 16 inch lengths, it stacked out to 1 1/2 stacks 8 feet in lenght and 4 feet high or better. There were probably 6 or those rounds that were close to 24 inches in diameter, so they might have skewed the results a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.