1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pressed wood block test

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jatoxico, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I mentioned in another thread that I wanted to try some wood bricks to see if my wife could start running the stove.
    Tonight I had her put 2 4lb blocks and 1 6lb in on a small coal bed. That was at five o'clock. The air was all the way down by 5:30 and stove is cruising at about 525.
    Took a couple pics but they are useless. These do appear to burn clean. Overfire seems to be a real possibility.
    If I can get a decent burn cycle out of them I may get some delivered. Want to practice a couple more times to see what the best way to arrange them is. Too much air appears to me would be a problem.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I put six of the big eco bricks from TSC in my stove the other day, because I had them. Still had bottom three of them pretty solid over ten hours later. Stove ran at 450-550 for most of the time. Made some really nice floating flames around the cat for 1.5-2 hours.

One of these days I'm gonna fill it up, if they have a sale again. I wouldn't try it with any other stove, but I have no problem controlling them.
  3. jatoxico

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Jeff Did you load them tight or with some space?
  4. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    They were stacked on top of each other, two high, three wide. I left maybe an inch between them. The top row burned off completely, and the bottom row was still about half intact when I loaded wood for the night.

I'm interested to see how many I can stuff in there. I bet they will burn for a looong time.
  5. rkofler

rkofler Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Long Island
    Which blocks did you try? I bought some wood brick fuel a couple of weeks ago, not that happy with them.
  6. jatoxico

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    These were Envi bricks. Got about 2.5 hrs from about 14lbs. Stove hit 600+ with air off and fan on high. Wife added another 8 lbs (2 sm bricks) and was able to keep the stove running and heating while I was out. This could work out for us. If you are in Suffolk pm me and I can tell you where to get few packs to try. Never used anything like this before so I don't know if what I got was good or bad.
  7. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Is that a Lopi insert??
  8. jatoxico

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    If you meant me it's a Jotul 550.
  9. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    My mistake, thought it was a Lopi. I've been looking at so many the last few weeks I seperate them all.
  10. jatoxico

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    In the market?