pressure or vacuum ports for switch on early Whitfield Advantage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
Could there be a different port to connect the pressure/vacuum hose to, like on the firebox somewhere? The port that the switch is connected to now doesn't provice vacuum, it's located just after the combustion blower on the exhuast where it connect to the external pipe. There's positve pressure the switch is connected at the moment and the switch doesn't operate as it needs a vacuum. All fans and ports and air passages have cleaned, Switch just doesn't get vacuum to work. It's been bypassed for the moment, but would like to get functional again. The instructions for the switch on this site say the switch should be normally closed, but this one is normally open. bjr23

i have to assume you have the wrong switch then. Thats definielty a pressure switch that goes there. Did you replace it or something? There is no other place to put that thing on that stove, not without some mod, and that is not advisable since the stove was built witht he pressure switch to measure at that point in the combustion system.

Not familiar with this stove, but could it be a pressure switch for insuring the combustion fan is working. It would shut the stove off if there was no pressure in the exhaust side. Like stated before have you changed something? Was the line not attached and hanging loose and you are looking for a home?

Allright, Thanks for reply. That's what I was thinking, that switch has to be wrong, the switch is pop rivited on the frame so I thought it was original to the stove and I just couldn't imagine how it ever worked. I sucked on the hose and the switch closes (using a ohmeter) Now, I need to know if there's normally open pressure switch available? I'm thinking, here, normally open and pressure closes contacts to energize auger motor. Is this correct? bjr23

the pressure switch should be normally closed and allow current to the auger motor, it should open if there is excessive pressure in the exhaust pipe to stop the auger motor.

you should have part # 16050001 or 12145903 (this is some kind of "kit"), should be a shiny silver UFO looking thingy.

Okay, I'm with you now. Over pressure may mean a restriction in the flu piping and would shut down auger. I just remembered that there were some new spare parts that came with the stove when I bought it and one them was a pressure switch. I'll have to look at the part no. when I get home. This problem may have been ongoing with previous owner as he'd bypassed the switch also. Anyhow, you guys have been great and I'll surely enjoy the newly purchased stove (meaning used). It performed wonderfully last nite and the basement was warm this morning a great way to start the day. It was a good $600 investment. $200 for the stove and $400 for the flu pipe. bjr23

Status
Not open for further replies.