pressure relief valve size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Was looking at pressure relief valves and was supprised at the coast of the larger ones. I'm going to have 1 1/2 pipe off the boiler. can I T off the 1 1/2" and reduce the size for a smaller relief valve.

Those valves are BTU & water or steam rated. use the one that is at least the max output of your boiler. I would use a tap nearest the boiler with out a tee if possible. Some of the bigger valves have some language about not to be used on unit with out automatic burner controls. I could never get a straight answer about solid fuel. Mine is an apollo 2 inch unit and I got it from drill spec?? 2 hundred bucks?? With hot water, on steam it uses 2-2.5 inch valves

woodsmaster said:
Was looking at pressure relief valves and was supprised at the coast of the larger ones. I'm going to have 1 1/2 pipe off the boiler. can I T off the 1 1/2" and reduce the size for a smaller relief valve.
Also check Ebay as there are lots of larger new valves on there, Randy

Woodsmaster, I think my pressure relief valve was like $10-15. I put a Cross on the top of my boiler (instead of a tee) so I could have a pressure/temp gage facing forward and with a 1 1/2" to 1/2" reducer on top (I think it's a 1/2" NPT) for the relief valve. It only takes a relatively small amount of incompressible water to instantly reduce the pressure. Just call Cozy Heat below or someone like them to send the relief valve. It's very inexpensive. Maybe I'm confused about what you asked because my pressure relief was inexpensive and I bought it with a bunch of stuff from Cozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.