Pressure Treated Deck...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhater

Jul 30, 2009
Southern NH
New house with new pressure treated deck. Any good advise on when and what to use for a water repellent? I've heard Wolman raincoat is good. Should I do it right away or wait for a season of weathering?

We built a couple new porches last summer. We were also told to wait unti mid-summer this year before applying any stain or rain coating. The reason is the shrinkage and believe me, it has shrunk a lot. So hopefully when we are past the wet season then we'll be staining. That no doubt means July.

Reactions: Defiant
We built a couple new porches last summer. We were also told to wait unti mid-summer this year before applying any stain or rain coating. The reason is the shrinkage and believe me, it has shrunk a lot. So hopefully when we are past the wet season then we'll be staining. That no doubt means July.
X2:cool:

Wife and I like the weathered gray look of our pressure treated deck, and we like even more no maintenance at all, no stain, no water repellant, and no cost; just lounge chairs, beers, and cheers while the neighbors re-stain or whatever their deck every couple of years. Our deck has been up now for 20 years and in excellent shape.

Reactions: Defiant
Wait for the wood to dry-out so it excepts stain. 6 weeks minimum with nice weather (or use a moisture meter).
Try products by TWP, or Defy. Order online. HIGH QUALITY @ similar prices to the crap to mid grade stuff in box stores. LOTS of changes in formulas going on lately due to VOC regulations; so do some reading: http://www.deckstainhelp.com/
Also you'll have to prep the deck before stain (yes even new wood). Minimum effort is scrubbing with Oxy-Clean or Oxo-brite & a brush, then thorough rinse & a couple nice days to dry. Some would even say surface sanding is necessary after cleanig.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not done yet and raining right now but the step to the door was last year and same with the steps up to the deck which was done last week. Will give it another year and spray the whole thing with Thompsons water seal..

Not a great picture of it but the only one i could get with the little knucklehead in it ==c

loon

Status
Not open for further replies.