Pressurized storage tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Jan 23, 2010
southwestern pa
I am consdering a water storage tank for my Econburn 150. everything that I have seen has been tanks that are metal like old propane tanks and such. Has anyone ever used a plastic tank for a pressurized thermal starage tank? I would think that it would work if it were insulated to hold the btu's. Is there a reason that steel is the tank of choice? or am I missing the obvious

Thanks,

1965buickgs joe

1965buickgs said:
I am consdering a water storage tank for my Econburn 150. everything that I have seen has been tanks that are metal like old propane tanks and such. Has anyone ever used a plastic tank for a pressurized thermal starage tank? I would think that it would work if it were insulated to hold the btu's. Is there a reason that steel is the tank of choice? or am I missing the obvious

Thanks,

1965buickgs joe

I don't want to dampen any inventive ideas you may have, but many of us looked at just about every material we could think of getting our hands on, and especially when it comes to pressurized systems, it's hard to find materials other than metal that do not experience a decrease in structural integrity at/near 200 degrees F. I've heard of certain special types of fiberglass being used for unpressurizes storage, but not for pressurized. Even at what we tend to think of as "low pressures" the force can be substantial.

Although reiniforced plastic tanks are available with pressure ratings, they are very rare and quite expensive. Most standard plastic tanks are usually made of HDPE which is a heat setting plastic, when they get warm, the tank gets less rigid and can deform and ultimately fail. Most open plastic tanks have a working temp of around 150 F which is too low for storage and they arent rated for any pressure.

Propane tanks are pressure rated vessels when new, most people who use them for water storage buy used ones that are no longer good for propane use as they are basically scrap, the assumption is that even though they may no longer be in adequate shape to hold propane at a much higher pressure, they should be good for the 15 to 30 PSI used in heating systems. Unfortunately, if the tanks arent inspected and alterations are made that are not too code, the tanks are no longer pressure rated. Many folks elect to take a chance on them anyhow.

Plastic can handle temperature or pressure, but not both at the same time.
If you want or need a pressurized storage system, use steel tanks.

If access is an issue, see the friendly folks at the website below (humble self-promotion.LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.