Pressurized tank questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sherwoodm

Dec 12, 2013
Montpelier Vt
It has been about 5 years since I was given great advice on this forum. In 2008 I installed an open 700 gallon tank with heat exchanger along with an old Tarm MB55 boiler in a cramped room on the side of our garage. It has served us very well with only problems, evaporation and getting excess heat from the room into the house. I top the tank off about every two weeks and have a fan to circulate air into the house. Possibly I should leave well enough alone but am thinking about updating to pressurized propane tanks in our basement. I have three 250 gal propane tanks I would modify to make them vertical. My questions? The basement is 8 ft lower in elevation than the garage where the boiler would stay. Would that cause any issues. Also, could I separate the tanks, two side by side in one location and another by itself 20 ft away. We have a small house and tank placement is a problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Why not put a top on the tank?

I run an 820 gallon unpressurized tank just like you but my top is sealed. It is vented to the atmosphere via a 3/4" pipe in the top that has a 1" copper cap just sitting on top. I have yet to see significant water loss...

Something else to keep in mind, lost steam is lost heat, I bet you are loosing a ton! Tighten everything up, insulate it and use the heat when you need it.

K

Why not put a top on the tank?

I run an 820 gallon unpressurized tank just like you but my top is sealed. It is vented to the atmosphere via a 3/4" pipe in the top that has a 1" copper cap just sitting on top. I have yet to see significant water loss...

Something else to keep in mind, lost steam is lost heat, I bet you are loosing a ton! Tighten everything up, insulate it and use the heat when you need it.

K
Hi possibly I better try to seal it better before I give up on it. It has a sheet metal top stuck down with RTV and machine screws with 4" of foam on top of that but the water sure evaporates. I believe at least 10 gal per wheel. Before I give up on it I will drain and clean the tank (in the spring) and see if I can get a better seal. Thanks much

Yeah, you need to just find a better way to seal that sucker.

I don't check mine but once a season and I've only had to add the a small amount if any.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.