pressurized water storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdurant

Nov 4, 2007
Blairsville PA
Hey Eric and anybody else, with pressurized boiler experiance. I want to know the benifites of having hotwater storage with a natural draft boiler. I know you can burn at full throttle with a cleaner burning effect. I have a logwood ycob36 and a burnham oil boiler. I am going to have another boiler in my detached garage hooked into this system. I will have coil to heat my domestic hotwater. If I heat with extra storage will I gain anything? Keep in mind I burn both wood and coal. who makes a good hotwater storage tank that lasts for a pressurized system?

My expectation is that storage would be helpful for any wood heat system. Perhaps it's mostly used by gasifier folks because it seems relatively less expensive to them.....

Folks seem to be having good results from used LP gas tanks in the 250 and 500 gallon range. I have no firsthand experience with them.

Actually, when I had my logwood 24, I circulated water between the coil and my 40 gallon electric hot water heater. I hooked this up after one season of using it without the DHW connection. I found that even with only 40 gallons, the boiler behaved a lot better--i.e., it maintained a more consistent temp and would see extended burn times. So, instead of going down into the basement to greet a cool boiler with no coals every (below zero) morning, I'd be greeted by a warm boiler with a bed of coals. Free hot water is how I saw it.

If you think about it, the hot water heater basically expanded the heating system's water capacity, thus making it less prone to big firing swings. From what I could see, that made it more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.