Pretty good deal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Husky 136 (a Poulan) and a remington electric. I use the remington only when I have to deal with the lighter weight, like when I'm on a ladder or up in a tree. Otherwise the Gas saw with no cord is more convenient for my tastes. Also I find the gas saw less tiresome. As for cutting power...Hmm I think the gas has it beat, but the electric is no slouch. The gas saw runs the chain faster. The electric seems to bounce around a lot, maybe needs sharpening!

p.s. Does anyone know why electric chainsaws are so quiet but you can hear an electric ciruclar saw from a mile away? You always know when someone in the neighborhood is cutting with a circular saw.

Maybe rotating at 5500+ rpms creates a bit of noise.

I lost track of this thread after it got moved, so here's a followup. I've now used the Makita to cut 2 cords to length, and I absolutely love it. It's quiet, smooth, torquey, lightweight, and doesn't force me to breathe gas fumes. It makes the Stihl gas saw feel clunky. Highly recommended!

BrotherBart said:
Eric Johnson said:
'ja hear about the one where the couple got into a maritial dispute and decided to get divorced and split everything right down the middle, 50/50? When the soon-to-be-ex-wife was down at her lawyer's, the old boy got out his chainsaw and cut the house in half--right down the middle, 50/50.

Or this:

That looks like the plane the Myth Busters were investigating. I never would have thought it could happen, but it worked.

I didn't think it would work either untill I watched the show

tradergordo said:
Was that his half of the plane or hers? :)

p.s. Does anyone know why electric chainsaws are so quiet but you can hear an electric ciruclar saw from a mile away? You always know when someone in the neighborhood is cutting with a circular saw.

I think you will find the reason is the difference in the gearing of each machine. The chainsaw is reduced gearing, causing the chain to travel at a lesser speed than the motor (increases power, kinda like 1st gear in your car). The circular saw is direct drive, running the blade at the same speed as the motor, some are actually geared up (gives faster, better cut). The increased rpm of the circular saw makes the loud "whine". Not to mention that most circular saws have bigger motors than most electric chainsaws. NOTE I said most here guys, there are exeptions to the rules.

Last spring I had to restock my woodpile after installing a new EPA wood burning insert. I had an old 10" chain saw. Just no longer up to the job and I could no longer find bars. Bought a Remington cut ok felt yuck. Did some research and returned the Remington and bought the Makita UC4000.

Later an ash tree was dropped in the neighborhood, I ask for some electrons and bucked down the 12" limbs, and the 30" trunk. It took me 2.5 hours to cut and haul the tree out. It made about .6 cord.

Since I get my firewood from my neighorhood, a quieter electric is nicer. The chainsaw work very well.

Next thought would be using a Honda EU2000i gas generator or a 120 volt inverter. Why just get a gas chain saw, 'cause its gas.

-- Brandy

Status
Not open for further replies.