Pretty happy with this weekend's score(s)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
Guy at work told me about a week ago his friend had a tree down, about 30 feet tall. Told me he was going to go cut it up for him and if I wanted I could have the wood. When I asked what kind of tree he told me "Well I don't know trees but I think it is an ash or some kind of spruce." I'm not sure how those two can be mistaken for each other. I'm not much for IDs but I believe it is locust. Smells great and pretty damn heavy.

101_3555.png

I took all of the big chunks...I left some of the branches since that hill wasn't getting any shorter or less steep.

101_3554.png

This puts me that much closer to being a year ahead.

On Saturday my brother dropped off about 1/2 cord of mixed chunks and small rounds (on the left below) that was the left overs of a 3 cord score he found for $75 from a guy who was moving. It's all super dry and will do well for filling in the corners of the stove for overnight burns.

101_3558.png

I'm starting to think you guys with splitters may have a point....

onion said:
Guy at work told me about a week ago his friend had a tree down, about 30 feet tall. Told me he was going to go cut it up for him and if I wanted I could have the wood. When I asked what kind of tree he told me "Well I don't know trees but I think it is an ash or some kind of spruce." I'm not sure how those two can be mistaken for each other. I'm not much for IDs but I believe it is locust. Smells great and pretty damn heavy.

101_3555.png

I took all of the big chunks...I left some of the branches since that hill wasn't getting any shorter or less steep.

101_3554.png

This puts me that much closer to being a year ahead.

On Saturday my brother dropped off about 1/2 cord of mixed chunks and small rounds (on the left below) that was the left overs of a 3 cord score he found for $75 from a guy who was moving. It's all super dry and will do well for filling in the corners of the stove for overnight burns.

101_3558.png

I'm starting to think you guys with splitters may have a point....

I'm not that good either but it looks like ash.

The first picture of the big rounds looks like cherry.

zap

I think maybe it's maple. (probably silver, if it is)

Definetely Not locust or ash. Maybe cherry or some kind of pine.

From the bark I was thinking Cherry but the wood doesnt appear dark enough. My guess is Maple

Looks like heat to me . . . any pictures of the leaves . . . that would help in the ID of the tree . . . but as I said . . . right now, this looks like heat to me . . . plain and simple.

It definitely is not a maple. I saw a few leaves and they aren't maple leaves. I cannot remember if they were compound or not but I do remember they were toothed. As I look at various tree ID guides I'm thinking it is cherry. It doesn't smell anything like the ashes I have brought down this year. I knew I should have grabbed a few leaves and brought them back but I was too darn tired to remember that lol.

I should also add that the flash washed out some of the color from the rounds and there are ash and maple rounds in the picture behind the stuff I picked up yesterday. I'll split some tonight and get pictures in better light.

Onion, split and smell. It won't smell like onions!

I'm better at IDing trees with leaves . . . but as others have mentioned this tree does look a lot like cherry . . . try splitting one and seeing if it smells a bit sweet and pleasant . . . the fruit trees such as cherry and apple often have a very nice smell.

Yea the bark really looks like Black Cherry, although the wood does look too light, but maybe that just the camera. Definitely not Ash or Locust. Did I say its definitely not Ash?? :)

The bark looks like Black Cherry, and the description of the leaves (possible confusion with Ash, toothed leaves) sounds Ok for Cherry as well. Free Cherry is always a nice deal.

Looks kinda like spruce/pine. But if it had leaves...that's certainly not the case. :lol:

Hmm looks like pine of some sort to me, never seen such bright cherry wood :-O

Status
Not open for further replies.