Preventing creasalt in flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
what is the best temp to run at wit good seasoned wood?

I was told from around 500 - 700 degrees

Never seen a stove crap up a flue leveled out at 500 stove top temp or over. Look at the chimney. If you see smoke, turn it up and fix that. With that insert it will be hard to know what the stove top temp is though. So keep some flame going and look for the clean burn, no smoke.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
If you can get that sucker to cruise in the 500 range you'll be in good shape. I'd say 400-600 is acceptable though

The one bad thing about an insert is not being able to place a simple thermometer on the pipe and nobody makes a remote bulb one that I've found.

This works for me, the line scratched on the right is 500 deg, line on left 700, its sitting on top of my insert a few inches in front of the pipe. Or an IR thermometer would work as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1448557061825.jpg

I see the lines, but do not understand exactly what we are looking at. Is there some type of bi-metal temp device in operation? More info please.

Condar stovetop thermometer.

If you see smoke, turn it up and fix that. With that insert it will be hard to know what the stove top temp is though. So keep some flame going and look for the clean burn, no smoke.

This is a bit of a rookie question, but does smoke ALWAYS mean creosote? I can have my stove-top thermometer well into the "sweet spot" for temperature yet there will be smoke occasionally.

Smoke can happen. But if it is white it is steam that often gets mistaken for smoke.

This is a bit of a rookie question, but does smoke ALWAYS mean creosote? I can have my stove-top thermometer well into the "sweet spot" for temperature yet there will be smoke occasionally.
Visible smoke, not steam, is always unburned hydrocarbons. If you let it happen much you will get a creosote build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.