Preventing Possible Freeze up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dean

Mar 2, 2008
brookhaven, ny
The Jotul wood stove has been keeping our reliance on heating fuel down this winter. Our house is a Split ranch 1950's built, garage under bedroom area, mono flow hydronic baseboard system. I kept a thermometer in the garage to monitor temps at night. They stayed above freezing 35 - 39 most nights. Concerned with a possible freeze up, I recently purchased the Therm Guard. It was easy to install and program with just a slight modification to the back of the mercury filled thermostat.

Just trying to figure out what you mean by Split Ranch?
http://splitlevel.net/

Regardless, my Split level enters into the living room and kitchen with basement/family room down from there and bedrooms up over the basement/family room. The garage is under the living room and down from the basement/family room. My garage is mostly underground on the sides and of course open to the elements on the door side. My garage never gets below freezing. I wouldnt even give it a second thought if you have checked the temps. The garage floor being concrete and mostly influenced by ground temps should allow you to rest easy. I can leave a pot of water on the concrete floor by the garage door and it will never freeze.

Your only issue is if you have some exposed pipe in the floor near a wall where you may have a draft...

It is sort of a California style. There was an extension added to the original footprint of the house and has a wood stove. The bedroom side of the house has full basement with garage below. This side of the house has north, northeast exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.