Preventing Waterlog

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuneighty

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2012
SC PA
I have been perusing Craigslist and calling others in the area, just in chance I may get something dry, and more peace of mind for this year. I still have 1.5 cords (having gone through about 1 to date) ready. I have 3 for next year already put up. Its my first year and I am not sure what the stove is going to consume.

So I find an add in CL:

http://westmd.craigslist.org/for/3436827867.html

Seasoned Firewood for Sale !!

Mixed Hardwood - $165.00 per cord
Oak - $185.00 (80% Guaranteed) per cord

1/2 Cords also available.
$50 stacking fee per cord
Delivery is free in Frederick County.
Cash Only Please

All of our wood is well seasoned, cut to approx. 18 inches, split and ready to burn.
Custom cuts upon request.

Call or email today to schedule your delivery.

I decide to email him and ask him when it was split.This was the reply:

Our firewood is split as need to help prevent waterlog.

Needless to say, I will just keep looking.

Haha good one, keep it from water-logging, did you tell him wood isn't a sponge.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Tuneighty nows the time to find a reputable wood dealer. Preferably someone whos actually in the business of wood processing. They have the equipment to deal in volumns and will be less likely to rip you off. You might start with Craigs list for fun but you might want to call DEC and ask for a list of registered loggers who deal with firewood or timber byproducts. Not that any one person is more honest than the next but you are involving yourself in an unregulated industry.
Tell potential sellers you are looking to buy long term and want to go look at their wood first.
There are a lot of reputable wood dealers out there and they are the ones that deserve your money.
The two people I bought from for years retired and Im back out looking. The trick is to not buy too much wood from any one source until you are confident with the seller and the best deals in the beginning are the facecord purchase. One pickup truck load.

I have been perusing Craigslist and calling others in the area, just in chance I may get something dry, and more peace of mind for this year. I still have 1.5 cords (having gone through about 1 to date) ready. I have 3 for next year already put up. Its my first year and I am not sure what the stove is going to consume.

So I find an add in CL:

http://westmd.craigslist.org/for/3436827867.html

Seasoned Firewood for Sale !!

Mixed Hardwood - $165.00 per cord
Oak - $185.00 (80% Guaranteed) per cord

1/2 Cords also available.
$50 stacking fee per cord
Delivery is free in Frederick County.
Cash Only Please

All of our wood is well seasoned, cut to approx. 18 inches, split and ready to burn.
Custom cuts upon request.

Call or email today to schedule your delivery.

I decide to email him and ask him when it was split.This was the reply:

Needless to say, I will just keep looking.
Thats a good one. Look for someone selling a specific species, besides oak. Look for maple, ash, locust etc.

When buyers learn to buy wood a year or 2 in advance or know to buy 1 or 2 year CSS wood.
Sellers will step up their game ;)
Can't put all the blame on sellers,
buyers buy & burn the wet stuff.

Need more buyers like you, knowledgeable ;)

Tuneighty nows the time to find a reputable wood dealer. Preferably someone whos actually in the business of wood processing. They have the equipment to deal in volumns and will be less likely to rip you off. You might start with Craigs list for fun but you might want to call DEC and ask for a list of registered loggers who deal with firewood or timber byproducts. Not that any one person is more honest than the next but you are involving yourself in an unregulated industry.
Tell potential sellers you are looking to buy long term and want to go look at their wood first.
There are a lot of reputable wood dealers out there and they are the ones that deserve your money.
The two people I bought from for years retired and Im back out looking. The trick is to not buy too much wood from any one source until you are confident with the seller and the best deals in the beginning are the facecord purchase. One pickup truck load.

I do have http://www.hotsticks.net/product.html Local. However I have not reached out to them. I have purchased for this year only as I moved in June and didnt find Hearth.com until Aug/Sept. . I have several properties to cut on and a buddy who drops tree's off in my yard. I have made connections with a second Arborist and they just give their wood away as well, so that will be coming in soon. So I will be scrounging. I live within miles of the Michaux state forest and permits are only $15 for two cords if I recall correctly. I will never have this problem again. Will I continue to search CL, sure will.

If your burning that stove in your pic, i would imagine you will need a bit more than what you have for your climate for this winter!! That looks like an old Craft or similar smoke dragon, with that huge 8" flue!! maybe its not as big as i think and only 6", but still appears to be a wood hog!

It's an 8", big wood hog. 24" opening. Just got a reply gish logging will sell cordwood, waiting on price

If you are buying wood, an inexpensive moisture meter (less than $20) is your friend.

Kiln dried from Gish Logging (local to Chambersburg, PA) is selling cords for 145 picked up, 165 delivered. That will get me through. I shouldn't need a meter after this year, the supply I do have has been split for a year. I have been putting up as much as I can for the following years.

Status
Not open for further replies.