Preway energy mizer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas S

Apr 3, 2007
My dad gave me a Preway build-in energy mizer wood burning fireplace to install in
a room we are building on to our house. He purchased it new long ago and I"m finding out
that it isn't as good as I thought. I have no triple wall pipe to install with. I've been learning as I go here
and two fireplace dealers said," without the pipe forget it." Another dealer in my hometown says," not an
issue, we'll find chimney pipe that will work."

I have two questions: 1) Who is correct? I would like to install this wood burner, but I want to install it
correctly and safe. 2) If I can't install this I would hate to see it hit the scrap yard, it's never been used! Is it
worth anything to anyone out there?

Tom

The dealers who said "without the pipe it is worthless" are the correct ones.

Also, in my opinion it has little value even if you find the pipe - which is possible, but highly doubtful on a local basis (someone somewhere may have some).... Preway has been out of business for what seems like decades - but is certainly a long time! The fireplace is surely behind the times.....

My general suggestion would be - scrap.

If you do find pipe its going to cost quite a bit. One of our guys saves all the preway pipe he rips out and sells it for a premium price. Usually people need one or two sections to extend a chimney for a remodel. A full vent would not even be worth the price. I would junk the thing and get a hybrid EPA approved wood fireplace.

The guy who said he will find pipe that will "fit"..... Just because it "fits" doesn't mean it is safe and approved for that fireplace. The only pipe for preway fireplaces is preway pipe.

Any market for old Heatilator triple-wall, jtp?

When did HTL use tripple wall? I know there was old majestic tripple wall (I think they still make it).

We rip old HTL units out and chuck them in our dumpster probably every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.