Price check please - Forever Flex Liner Installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btj1031

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
NH
I need to take the plunge this fall and have my chimney re-lined with stainless steel. Currently venting my Castine into my masonry chimney using the 4' stub. I just had someone come out yesterday to give me a quote, and I'm a bit blown away, but I want to make sure I'm not just being cheap. I have a 1 1/2 story cape, with the wood stove on the first floor. The chimney is central to the house. The quote for the 6" forever flex liner didn't indicate the length of the liner, but I'm guessing 25', 30' tops. He wants $1,700 for the liner, and $390 for insulation, installed. He also insists the insulation is required to meet code, but I'm not so sure. I'd like to use the guy because I found him through a good friend who is happy with his work, but I don't want to get ripped off. Any thoughts from the experts or those with experience would be very helpful.

Sounds a bit high...
The liner should be between $400 - $500...
Thermix is around $40 per bag 3-4 bags will usually fill the cavity, maybe less...
2 - 3 hrs to install..
Maybe $1100 - $1300 installed 'round these parts...

Local sweep is doing the same job for my neighbor next week for $1,200 liner/insulation wrap/labor. 22' chimney in a two story colonial. It is the sweep he has used for years.

Me thinks his mortgage is due :p

Going a bit off topic here, but do others think that insulation is needed, or even a good thing, with the interior chimney?

I also have an interior chimney on a cape. I went with a full liner but did not insulate. I am glad that I didn't. On the second floor I get a lot of heat radiated from the chimney - I think that a lot of that heat would be lost up the flue if there was insulation.

Back to the original question - I agree the quoted price is way high. And I'd save a few hundred more by foregoing insulation.

Mine was $1300 for installing an insert and Everguard Forever Flex liner (25 ft). I later had insulation added for $150.

Thanks for the sanity check folks. I appreciate it. If anyone can refer someone in central NH to do such work, it would also be appreciated.

My co-worker told me that he paid 2,100.00 to have a liner placed. I had recommended a chimney sweep to him back in the spring, and mentioned that he should consider getting the flu lined while they are cleaning the chimney. The company I recommended is well-known in the area and does outstanding work. I had spoken with this sweep about the cost to line a chimney, about 1,300.00 (mine is lined, but I was curious.) This guy never listens to good advice, so he called the local stove store to clean his chimney, and they were able to convince him to get a liner and totally hosed him on the price.! This guy also disregards any advice to season his wood and insists on burning oak that was dropped in the spring and split over the summer. Maybe that's why he had so much glazed creosote in his chimney!
Thankfully they were able to convince him that chimney fires are common and deadly and even fed him some statistics that he kept mentioning at work. I was really worried that the dude would need a chimney fire to teach him a lesson. I've even recommended this forum as he is a new wood-burner also, but his attitude is that there is nothing to learn about burning wood. What a putz!

Sounds a bit high…
The liner should be between $400 - $500…

Where can I get a liner for that price? I want a good qualioty liner that wont give me problems when I clean it. So far price Ive seen are $600-$800, can someone point me in the a better direction?

Check Ebay. I just bought a Flex King Pro 6"x30' with insulation, tee, top plate, cap, and block off kit for $765. And the Pro is their extra thick liner, so the normal liner is even cheaper. Regardless of the brand though, Ebay has been a good source for me. Perhaps you can search out what you want and then ask one of the vendors here if they are willing to match the price you find.

And if you have a friend or two to help and are handy, just install it yourself. There are a few really decent videos on you tube that break it down.

WAY over priced on your quote as far as I'm concerned, but then again, I'll tackle most any job myself.

Weather - here you go: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/foreverflex.htm

Weird - Thanks for the tip. I'm aware I can do this myself for much cheaper, just not a job I really feel like tackling. Time is an issue, as is my skill level...this task feels like its just beyond it.

J-Man said:
Weather - here you go: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/foreverflex.htm

Weird - Thanks for the tip. I'm aware I can do this myself for much cheaper, just not a job I really feel like tackling. Time is an issue, as is my skill level...this task feels like its just beyond it.

My pleasure and fair enough:)

Been rehabbing my home for so long now that I think I might die of guilt if I ever sat back and paid someone else to do some work on it.
Damn, but that sounds NICE! To sit back, feet up, beer in hand, just directing the action. Yep, I know what I'm asking the Lady for as my Christmas present....a project that I don't have to do. Ha!

Cheers!

Weird - I know how you feel. My house is a fixer-upper, and necessity has forced me to learn how to do quite a bit, and I always have 2 or 3 active projects going. I just don't want to get a liner stuffed half way down my chimney and get stuck. Also, I'm doing this not only to improve my stove performance, which I think will be huge, but also for the safety factor, so I want to get it done right.

Thnaks Jman, I didnt think to look there, I knew he sells stoves.

Does that price come with a jar of Vasoline?
Hes ripping ya big time.

Nah, the vaso's probably extra.

weatherguy said:
Sounds a bit high…
The liner should be between $400 - $500…

Where can I get a liner for that price? I want a good quality liner that wont give me problems when I clean it. So far price Ive seen are $600-$800, can someone point me in the a better direction?

PM me & I can give you some info

EngineRep said:
Going a bit off topic here, but do others think that insulation is needed, or even a good thing, with the interior chimney?

I also have an interior chimney on a cape. I went with a full liner but did not insulate. I am glad that I didn't. On the second floor I get a lot of heat radiated from the chimney - I think that a lot of that heat would be lost up the flue if there was insulation.

Back to the original question - I agree the quoted price is way high. And I'd save a few hundred more by foregoing insulation.

The need for insulation is dictated by the condition of the chimney liner.
It's a safety issue, ESPECIALLY with an internal chimney.
If you have cracked, broken or otherwise deteriorating flue tiles,
heat can be transferred to the combustible framing around the chimney.
Better to insulate than not...

J-Man said:

Just to give ya some insight.
I purchased and installed DuraLiner Double wall insulated rigid, total material coasts was $1,080.00, which includes freight delivery.
I did the install myself.
$1,700.00 for a flex liner kit?????????????
How much is the 20z jar of vaso? $150.00?

Hogwildz said:
J-Man said:

I purchased and installed DuraLiner Double wall insulated rigid, total material coasts was $1,080.00, which includes freight delivery.

And that double wall dura-liner gives a masonry chimney a true zero clearance. Does it not?

Sometimes the labor cost can be significant. This is a picture of a base-tee I had to assemble via a hole I cut into the side of the base of a chimney. It was a 5' reach inside. Anyone know where I can get a 5' screwdriver?

Attachments

• Base-tee 2.jpg
    Base-tee 2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 522
Sometimes the labor cost can be significant. This is a picture of a base-tee I had to assemble via a hole I cut into the side of the base of a chimney. It was a 5’ reach inside. Anyone know where I can get a 5’ screwdriver?

Something like that you should get more for labor but a straight shot with no obstructions should be less.

all masonry chimneys need insulation to bring them up to code. if you think otherwise check out this thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/32931/.

insulation is required for UL1777, and for good reason. The price seems ballpark to me consider thats about a grand worth of material, $400 worth on insulation, and then labor.

Yagminas Masonry and Wood-heat said:
Hogwildz said:
J-Man said:

And that double wall dura-liner gives a masonry chimney a true zero clearance. Does it not?

Yes, that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.