Price for bucking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaddyUser

Nov 28, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi folks,

I was asked to buck 4 cord of hardwood. What is a reasonable price to charge per cord? According to what I know, the logs are sitting in a pile at the moment, and all I need to do is cut them to stove (16") lengths.

Thanks!

If I understand all you are doing is cutting the wood, you aren't supplying it, correct. I would call $20 - $25/cord a fair price, as far as making firewood this is about the easiest part and you should be able to cut up all 4 cords in a matter of a couple of hours - $50/hr.

What do you want to make per hour? Then, how long does it take to cut a cord? With the answer to those two questions, you can figure out what you want to charge per cord. Of course, the question ends up being what is the current market price in your area?

It never occurred to me that I could pay somebody to buck wood for me. Then again, using the chainsaw is probably the most fun of the entire process for me. My least favorite part of the process is all the lifting of firewood.

Logs sitting in a pile is nice for cutting. I would agree to the $20-$25 should be fair so long as you have the equipment to handle it and some experience to know what to do with a pile of logs so you won't get hurt.

How big are the logs? How tall is the pile? Is it Silver Maple or Locust? You are going to have to move some wood if you are cutting a pile of logs to cut the whole pile.

Not worth it for me, I couldn't charge enough to make it worth it. That along with the wear and tear on my saws, chains, bars, fuel and oil used.

Now if it was a family member, friend or a neighbor in need I'd do it for free if they helped out moving logs around and marking them to length.

Thanks a bunch folks. I have never had the situation where someone wanted to pay a 'going rate' for bucking, I agree, bucking is the easier part of the wood cutting cycle. The fellow that wants the bucking done is a neighbor of a friend of mine. My buddy normally bucks for the neighbor, but he has a new addition to the family last month, and as most of us know, the baby is taking a lot of his time.

I took a look at the pile this evening, just to see if it was a muddy mess, but it seems to be 95% sugar maple, in good condition. Most of the rounds are 12-18", so it shouldn't much of a problem at all.

Thanks again for the input!

Let me guess.... he wants someone to buck green logs for him... in August..... so the can burn the unsplit, green rounds this winter. And by this winter, since it's New Brunswick, that will be next month.

Since it's not a friend, neighbor, or family I'd charge $30 an hour wet. Or have another look at the pile and just put a price on the entire job. $100 or whatever.

CaddyUser said:
Hi folks,

I was asked to buck 4 cord of hardwood. What is a reasonable price to charge per cord? According to what I know, the logs are sitting in a pile at the moment, and all I need to do is cut them to stove (16") lengths.

Thanks!

You get paid for bucking up wood, I need to speak with my wife! :vampire:

zap

Very timely thread . . . my cousin contacted me earlier this week to see if I would buck up the log-length firewood they have had sitting outside for the past three years since her husband always seems to be too busy watching sports, playing on the computer, etc. and she wants firewood for this winter . . . I did tell her the wood probably should have been bucked up and split several months ago . . . but hey, if she wants to pay me who am I to argue?

So $20-$25 a cord if bucked up.

How much if bucked up and split?

For bucked and split, I'd ask for whatever green split wood sells for in the area, minus a little because of no delivery needed, unless they want it stacked, then same as delivered. The labor is the biggest part of the cost of firewood if you ask me. You are making fuel out of a raw material.

Nice strong saw 20.00 hr depending on the pile 2-3 hours tops of work there. Dont be afraid of a stop charge and gas! ;-) 100.00 bucks!

Hit a couple pieces of iron or nails and ruin a coulpe chains, there goes your profit.
Not sure how you can work that risk into your fee.

Might want to ask if these were backyard trees or came from a treeline on a farm.

kettensäge said:
Hit a couple pieces of iron or nails and ruin a coulpe chains, there goes your profit.

Might want to ask if these were backyard trees or came from a treeline on a farm.

Helps to have a nice grinder. Lots of trigger time I have never wasted a chain yet, hit lots of metal too! ;-)

smokinjay said:
kettensäge said:

Helps to have a nice grinder. Lots of trigger time I have never wasted a chain yet, hit lots of metal too! ;-)

Me Too, I would skip a job like this though,
Wonder if the OP is has a grinder and triggertime? ;-)

kettensäge said:
sm said:
kettensäge said:

I would probably do it for free lol but 100.00 could buy an ok grinder! lol :cheese:

smokinjay said:
kettensäge said:
sm said:
kettensäge said:

I would probably do it for free lol but 100.00 could buy an ok grinder! lol :cheese:

Most of suppliers around here are cutting from Crown timber allocations, so it would be odd to run into any metal. Then again, if it is there, I will probably find it!

I've been keeping an eye out for a good price for a grinder, just haven't found one yet..... Then again, I've been filing by hand for 25 years, so a grinder would be a luxury....

Kenster said:
Let me guess.... he wants someone to buck green logs for him... in August..... so the can burn the unsplit, green rounds this winter. And by this winter, since it's New Brunswick, that will be next month.

Since it's not a friend, neighbor, or family I'd charge $30 an hour wet. Or have another look at the pile and just put a price on the entire job. $100 or whatever.

Yeah, I would suspect exactly that. When I was looking at the pile, I didn't see any split stacks around. It's sad to see good maple go up in smoke like that.... My best estimate is that it was cut last winter, as there was no mud on the logs.

It was fun this past spring when one of my neighbors down the street asked if we heated with wood - he said he's never seen any smoke coming from our chimney.... It was a great time to educate him on the benefits of quality seasoned wood....

Close on the start of the heating season Kenster, we will probably start taking the chill off here in early October, or when the better half decides - whichever comes first! :)

$20 a cord wouldn't even cover gas/bar oil and wear and tear on the saw and my back! I'd consider it for a friend *maybe*, but for a stranger no way.

The last 4 cords I did it took me about 7 hrs with me and a helper. Bucked and hauled about 10 miles to my house (2 trips).

NATE379 said:
$20 a cord wouldn't even cover gas/bar oil and wear and tear on the saw and my back! I'd consider it for a friend *maybe*, but for a stranger no way.

The last 4 cords I did it took me about 7 hrs with me and a helper. Bucked and hauled about 10 miles to my house (2 trips).

We're the two guys with the bad back and the ones saying it's not worth it. I can't say I'm surprised! :lol: Honestly even if my back was healthy I couldn't justify the time for 100 bucks, I'd rather spend the time with my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.