price of gaskets vs. time before removing motors.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

St_Earl

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2011
millinocket, maine
price of gaskets vs. time before removing motors.
i'm just wondering about this equation.

do you all reuse your gaskets if you remove your motors every season?
or do you always drop for new gaskets?

where is the balance point if a motor will last 3 to 5 or possibly more years if you just leave it in?

The motors (in particular the combustion motor) have to be removed during every "major" cleaning.....and the gaskets can't be re-used most of the time.....they pretty much "self-destruct" upon removal of the motor. Gaskets need to be replaced each time. See pic below, and note torn gasket.

Attachments

• blower vanes.jpg
    blower vanes.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 274
  • blower plenum.jpg
    blower plenum.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 271
how much does it cost each time you re-gasket?
how many years does removing, cleaning blades and re-gasketing every season extend the motor life?

new combustion blower motor for my stove = $218

My gaskets cost me $4 each. Well worth removal for cleaning to me.

It all depends on where you buy your gaskets. I ordered 5 from Eric at Kinsmans Stoves and he charged me like $32.00 or so , shipped to my house. His supplier was having problems getting them, and it was getting cold, so I ordered 1 from Breckwell, not a bad price $5.00 but the shipping the shipping the shipping 17.95= $22.95 for 1 gasket.

St_Earl said:
how much does it cost each time you re-gasket?
how many years does removing, cleaning blades and re-gasketing every season extend the motor life?

new combustion blower motor for my stove = $218

This isn't done to increase the combustion blowers life, it is done to allow the stove to burn properly.

If one fails to remove the crud the stove will not burn anywhere close to correctly.

And the re gasketing is every time you do a deep clean at the one to two ton mark (depends on stove and pellets you burn).

Like Doocrew says you can get the gaskets cheaply if you do some searching.

You can also find other gasket setups that do not fall apart, you have to match up the temperature requirements, the thickness, and it must provide a gas tight seal.

Doubt you will find one over $20. Most I have bought are around $10. If you dont remove the motor for cleaning, the blades become crusted and will affect the performance and efficiency of your unit.

Buy the gaskets in pairs. I try to always have 2 on hand. Just picked up another last month when I was at a Stove Shop buying my 4" vent for the furnace.

My AE has a reusable rubber type gasket for the comb blower and no gasket for the convection blower= $0 every cleaning.

smoke show said:
My AE has a reusable rubber type gasket for the comb blower and no gasket for the convection blower= $0 every cleaning.

The AE just stepped up one more notch in my book. So that gives it one notch total. ;-P

JK buddy..... But that is a nice feature. No convection blower gasket here either. But Comb blower is a must for it.

nice. thanks guys. for some reason, i seem to have remembered reading that gaskets cost a lot more.

no brainer now that i know different.

DexterDay said:
smoke show said:

The AE just stepped up one more notch in my book. So that gives it one notch total. ;-P

JK buddy..... But that is a nice feature. No convection blower gasket here either. But Comb blower is a must for it.

I'll convert you sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.