price of home heating oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

My two tanks need oil. One is less than 1/4. My figuring is now is the time to buy.
After many phone calls and quotesd of $2.52 255 246. I found a guy willing to sell me oil at 225 cod, providing I purchase 300 or more gallons. I still need oil for hot water. What are others paying?

we are $2.43/gal, less $.02/gal for over 300 gallons........the price has been soft for a couple of days now......Id wait a bit, with 1/4 tank just for hot water, you can go awhile.

Paid $2.29 for 200+ gallons earlier this month

oil on a global market is going down too. I paid $2.53 lock in last october. $2.25 seems a very good price right now. But Harry might be right. Wait a little.

Carpniels (oil for hot water too)

Looks like I'm the big loser. Paid $2.71/ga. on my last fill up (196 gal.). The comapny I use does not offer to "lock in" rates. This is in the DC area, where everything-- every little thing-- is obscenely expensive. H.

Have you guys ever paid in advance for the upcoming season?
I think my supplier offers it.
Idea is that it's cheaper in the summer than in the winter.
Of course, I guess you're missing out on interest...

I paid in advanced last year. My cash up front pay in advance, 500 gallon minimum locked me in at $2.149/gallon and remains what I purchased it at even if the price goes down. They also offer a budget plan, where you pay monthy installments and to get on that plan the oil cost $2.179 with a 400 gallon minimum and if it gets lower you pay the lower price. Otherwise, you pay when needed. Remember, this was last summers prices.

I'm curious to see what happens next. I prepaid for 700 gallons of oil for this last winter and only used between 200 - 300. I think that means, they're going to tell me to take a hike and reimburse me the rest or ask me if I'd like to apply the remaining balance to purchase new oil at todays price.

I filled my empty tank up the Monday before Turkey Day '05 and am still burning the same tank. Paid $2.39 /gallon for 251 gallons. Without burning wood I would be mostly through a second tank by now. Man I love that stove!!
BTW...I don't heat my water with oil.
Now all I need is a little solar action for my hot water and the baseboard electric in my addition. I'm not looking forward to the electric rate hike in July here in MD.

I got a pleasent supprise yesterday When all was said and done the oil man charged me $2.20 per gal which I paid COD

One burner is set for the season for my apt over the garage No hot water off this furnace.

The main house with 2 wood stoves will require one more fillup to make it threw the heating season. supplies the hot water as well

In my area one can also purchase Biofuel. I'm in the market for a new furnace or newer. Last year I missed out on a 2002 Burnham
that was removed because the addition they were adding required a larger capacity boiler. The real killer is it was thrown away into a dumpster. If I get a new boiler I will research using Biofuel, Providing it does not cost too much more.

This is good news, as our oil burners now can burn part of a renewable energy source/. Plus I am told it burns cleaner

I wonder if biofuel will improve effeciency ratings of existing burners?

I'm not versed on this: does 100% biodiesel get taxed for road use? I have a diesel VW and was toying with the idea of biodiesel. It would be good if one tank could be used for heat and motion, legally.

I used bio in my heater in PA...same settle tank I used to fill up my Jetta. No problem seen other than a fatter wallet (made my own with appleseed still, buble wash tank and settle tank. Had an active supply of oil weekly and brewed enough to keep me warm and rich.

Red Devil Lye became somewhat hard to find (found it in Lancaster finally, and used them till I bought my townhouse and had to move)...now I am back down in MD and looking to start brewing again, but I have NO need to brew 30 gallons at a time (at this time..that WILL change when I get my truck).

As for storage, the furnace tank was in the basement..I knocked out a few vent holes to heat the basement just enough to keep the bio from gelling...had _1_ experience with the tank starting to gel and that was it..had to do something...found that 2 gallons of Kero mixed in with the 200 gallons kept me running fluid.

Car is a different story...much below 40 and I had Gelling..no matter what I did...decided that winter would be more of a 5% mix...recently I have a friend who installed a heater/recycler that he could use to keep his 100% bio from Gelling in the winter...not brave enough to try it myself though.

kregars said:
I used bio in my heater in PA...same settle tank I used to fill up my Jetta. No problem seen other than a fatter wallet (made my own with appleseed still, buble wash tank and settle tank. Had an active supply of oil weekly and brewed enough to keep me warm and rich.

Red Devil Lye became somewhat hard to find (found it in Lancaster finally, and used them till I bought my townhouse and had to move)...now I am back down in MD and looking to start brewing again, but I have NO need to brew 30 gallons at a time (at this time..that WILL change when I get my truck).

As for storage, the furnace tank was in the basement..I knocked out a few vent holes to heat the basement just enough to keep the bio from gelling...had _1_ experience with the tank starting to gel and that was it..had to do something...found that 2 gallons of Kero mixed in with the 200 gallons kept me running fluid.

Car is a different story...much below 40 and I had Gelling..no matter what I did...decided that winter would be more of a 5% mix...recently I have a friend who installed a heater/recycler that he could use to keep his 100% bio from Gelling in the winter...not brave enough to try it myself though.

Good info Kregars. The way my friend's diesel is set up is with a special tubing that circulates engine coolant alongside the fuel line. Drive about 5 minutes on pure diesel and then switch over. No gelling unless very cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.