Price on landscaping trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
I've started looking into landscaping trailers to aid my scrounging as well as just a handy thing to have around. Right now I have a little trailer I built from an old pop up, but it really just doesn't hold enough weight for me. I've started looking around, been a couple months now, I've just been trying to get a feel for pricing as I'm in no rush.

I'm looking for something with two 3500# axles, brakes on at least one axle, and ramps. I'd like one that has the little square tube sides, i'll build my own extensions. I'm curious what people have seen these go for both new and used? Around here it seems like about 2500 new. For used ones I've seen from 1200-1800 so far. The problems with the used ones is that I haven't really seen any that don't have issues for those prices. They either need new tires, have some story about how the brakes are unhooked, rotten decking, etc. I'd love a dump trailer but it's just not in the budget, I'd like to spend 1200 or less, with 1500 as my absolute max for something used. IF I really can't find anything decent, I'd think about waiting a while and buying new.

I'm also interested to hear peoples likes/dislikes about their trailers so I can buy right the first time. Let the opinions fly!!

I've always been suprised at how much my full size mesh ramp drags/drafts when I have it on. It has a considrable effect on gas mileage, enough that if I'm traveling more than 30 miles I'll pull it off and strap it to the floor. It's great for rolling rounds onto, easier I suspect than individual ramps. However, on my next trailer I'll get removable ramps with their own storage compartments under the trailer.

poplar003.jpg

stovewood007.gif

I use a 16' car hauller to bring back my wood. Works OK. Currently looking for a dump trailer too. Somehow, when these trailers enter Canada they seem to magically double in price.

Buying a used trailer can be risky as everyone seems to way overload their trailers (or is it just me).

My advice would be to wait until you can afford the dump trailer. You have one to use for now, so I would wait and do it right the first (second) time.

I always see trailers for quick sale. I would buy used. I always buy used equipment that can be resold for close to the same price a few years later.

I bought my 5K single axle dump for a grand but it took almost a year to find it. And it had LR C tires on it.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I definitely would not have thought about looking for removable ramps, I'll definitely keep that in mind. And thanks for posting pics of how much wood that holds, always nice to see one in action. I'd like a dump trailer, but around here even used ones go for 3k on up and I'd guess most dump trailers are beat on pretty good. If I could find one for a grand I'd buy that sucker today. I guess the good thing is I am in no rush to buy so I can wait for that sweet deal to come along. Maybe this weekend I'll go to some of the trailer shops and look at new ones just so I know what I'm comparing to price wise looking at used.

We had a car trailer, solid 5" channel frame and 2 and 5/16 hitch, which was great for cars. However, the cross braces were 2" square tubing, and when loaded with firewood or anything in the center started to bend the trailer in the middle. As long as the weight was on the outside it was fine, when dumping a couple cords of wood on the center braces they were inadequate. I'd ensure that whatever you have meets a few minimums - brakes on both axles, at least 5" channel sides, 3" cross braces on 24" spacing, and 2X6 or 2X8 decking. Avoid anything that has mobile home axles or frames. Pay attention to the tires, make sure they're LT tires, D or E rated, and check the weight rating per tire - then multiply by 4 to make sure the tires meet the weight rating of the axles and a reasonable guess of the structure. If you're serious, stay with at least 5K axles (6-lug wheels) because you will easily overload a 7K trailer (2X3500# axles). If the trailer weighs 2200, that only leaves 4800# for wood. You can fit a LOT more than one cord of green hardwood on a 16' trailer, and there is a tendency to fill the space you have. We had a 14' trailer, and regularly hauled about 6-8K on it easily in log lengths. That was a total of about 9-10K behind the truck. Happy hunting!
PS-we just sold ours for $1200, which was a decent price around here. Unfortunately, I can't replace it with a heavier one for that so am now building my own gooseneck from a trashed frame I bought; if you're handy with a welder and like that kind of thing, and have time, maybe an idea?

see if any trailer mfrs in your area. or a fabricator. I worked at a metal fab shop for awhile where we built trailers to spec. and we were still cheaper than an equivelent trailer purchased then modified to fit customers needs. realize that the price of steel continues to increase, so used is often the best bet. as for eqipment, check local laws, some require brakes on both axles over certain gvws, lights at given heights, marker lights every so many feet. tandem axle is a almost must, for safer towing. and location of axles in relation to front deck and rear deck can turn a big deck into little useable space without overloading the tongue. yeah, there is so many things to think about.

I found my trailer on Craigslist for a good price, they are around just have to keep looking

I have a 20' 10K equipment trailer (18' + 2' dovetail). I haven't really hauled any firewood on it but I do second the recommendation of brakes on both axles and the preference for a heavier weight rating.
Mine is a tag along low boy with fenders that get in the way of loading over the axles from the side. Now that I have something that can pull a gooseneck, I would prefer a 14K gooseneck deckover trailer over what I have and just get the smallest tandem axle that I could find to handle any little stuff, but I'll make do with what I have for awhile.

That's the route we're taking, the gooseneck for bigger stuff (tractor, hay, etc.) and I'll build a small 14' tandem for firewood, cars, lumber, etc. Actually, a flatbed off a large truck (tow truck, lumber delivery truck, etc.) with some axles and a tongue would be a great trailer, probably for a lot less than you could build the deck and frame.

I've thrown this out before, but I'll do it again ;-)

Bumper pull straight load used horse trailer.

A goose neck is pretty good, too, but it's bigger.

As long as it's got good floors, frame, etc.

You can even leave wood in it, because it's covered:)

Added bonus of moving things in inclement weather, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.