Price Per TON for a Dealer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing it depends on where they buy their pellets, and how much they buy.

Our Sams club just had a big promotion (i was unable to get in on) with pellets selling for just over $200 / ton. The dealer whom i bought my stove from sells pellets (from a different manufacturer than what Sams sells) for $275 / ton. He siad he would love to buy a couple tractor trailer loads from Sams to re-sell....... but they have a five ton limit. This leads me to believe he pays more for the pellets he sells than Sam's Club sells them to the public for. It doesn't sund like my stove dealer is making a killing on the pellets he sells...... especially since he needs a forklift and a dry place to store them.

Like yourself, i'm curious also. As hard as pellets are to get your hands on around here...... i'm already scheming about how i'm going to buy a couple tractor trailer loads to re-sell next spring. There is obviously much more demand than supply around here !!

Im in CT and have not noticed a supply shotage pellets, you might have to put your name on a list but you will get them. But the stoves themselves might be a different story.

Your question is going to have varying answers. If a dealer sells more pellets then they are going to get a better deal from the mill. If the dealer lives farther away from the mill then they will pay higher shipping rates due to fuel costs.

Who cares what they pay unless you are planning on going into business for yourself. If you are planning on going into business plan on investing some money, paying big bucks for lots of insurance and paying lots of other fees for overhead. Owning a business is a real pain in the ass if you ask me, since I have owned mine for over ten years. If the dealers are making $100 per ton, it is really not that much profit when you figure in all the time and overhead. Then if you make a good chunk of money plan on giving alot of it to Uncle Sam lol.

Dealer price is relevant if you want to buy a tractor trailor load (22tons) to split up with a few buddies. 22 tons split between 4 or 5 guys could represent significant savings for everyone.

BadDad320 said:
Dealer price is relevant if you want to buy a tractor trailor load (22tons) to split up with a few buddies. 22 tons split between 4 or 5 guys could represent significant savings for everyone.

Very True! I never thought about that and I am always looking for a deal. So does that mean if 4 or 5 people get together and buy a tractor trailer load or two, they will or can get dealer pricing? Has anyone on here done this?

I tried to get 1 or more if possible loads. I was told that they are not accepting any more orders because it was going to be hard to meet current dealer obligations. They needed to meet those obligations 1st. Hey, I'll try again next spring.

Hmmmm lets see

I pay rent for a 4,000 sqft warehouse, rent for one storefront, Mortgage on another store, BWC Insurance, Liability insurance, Vendor's license, State Sales Tax, Tow Motor payment, Tow Motor fuel, Tow motor insurance, Commercial license plates on a Ford truck, Commercial vehicle insurance, 7,500 lbs trailer cost, Trailer insurance, I refuse to pay minimum wage to my employees so they need to eat and feed their family, Uniforms for the employees, Corperation tax, accountant fees, Septic inspection, utilities, electric, phones, credit card services, and I know I am leaveing numerous things out so please feel free to remind me what the mark up on a ton of pellets is.

there is a big difference in price if you order 100 tons or more.

kinsman stoves said:
Hmmmm lets see

I pay rent for a 4,000 sqft warehouse, rent for one storefront, Mortgage on another store, BWC Insurance, Liability insurance, Vendor's license, State Sales Tax, Tow Motor payment, Tow Motor fuel, Tow motor insurance, Commercial license plates on a Ford truck, Commercial vehicle insurance, 7,500 lbs trailer cost, Trailer insurance, I refuse to pay minimum wage to my employees so they need to eat and feed their family, Uniforms for the employees, Corperation tax, accountant fees, Septic inspection, utilities, electric, phones, credit card services, and I know I am leaveing numerous things out so please feel free to remind me what the mark up on a ton of pellets is.

So what does your ton average then prior to marking it up?

Steveo said:
Who cares what they pay unless you are planning on going into business for yourself. If you are planning on going into business plan on investing some money, paying big bucks for lots of insurance and paying lots of other fees for overhead. Owning a business is a real pain in the ass if you ask me, since I have owned mine for over ten years. If the dealers are making $100 per ton, it is really not that much profit when you figure in all the time and overhead. Then if you make a good chunk of money plan on giving alot of it to Uncle Sam lol.

Humm I care becuase im courious and Im not planning on going into business for myself.

We all have our "secrets". How much is in your checking account? What was the real score of your last golf game?

Do you ask a car dealer what is the price he paid for the car on his lot? Do you ask the local gas station owner what a wholesale gallon of fuel costs? Do you talk to neighbors and try to by a tanker load of gasoline to save $1.00 a gallon?

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
We all have our "secrets". How much is in your checking account? What was the real score of your last golf game?

Do you ask a car dealer what is the price he paid for the car on his lot? Do you ask the local gas station owner what a wholesale gallon of fuel costs? Do you talk to neighbors and try to by a tanker load of gasoline to save $1.00 a gallon?

Eric

I really dont have a clue as to what your on about, you can either answer the question, not answer it or continue on your tantrum. I dont care about the true price of cars, gas or a tanker this thread is about what a dealer pays for a ton of pellets and thats why i started it.

Relax

I am relaxed but you seem to be taking this personally, you claim your a dealer yet you wont answer my question. If you have something to contribute great if not go troll somewhere else.

Got me there. I am done.

schnkp said:
johnnywarm said:
there is a big difference in price if you order 100 tons or more.

How much of a difference?

i was told its a Deeper discount.it is also allot of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.