price range of new stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
Here is the situation I'm in. I have a Fisher stove it was free. It is going to cost about $400 to for the 8" chimney.
I have a 6" chimney in my garage that I could take out and put in the house if I get a different stove. I have looked
around for new stoves and either they are $100 cheapo stoves or $1500 stoves. I don't want to buy a cheap stove
and regret it. But I can't afford the good stoves.

Is there any good stoves I can get for around $400? If I can I would like to spend about the same for a stove as what it would
cost me for the 8" chimney. I have a 1300sqft house and would like to heat it with the stove.

The Englander 13NC is probably a good fit for you. It sells for under $700 at the big box stores and some lumber stores. You'll want a 6" flue for this stove and it will need a proper hearth. But the 6" flue will bring down the parts cost. Can you describe the parts and setup for the flue? $400 sounds low, but perhaps you are tying into an existing flue?

I'm currently checking around for a 13NC. I can get a 12FP at the big box store for under $700, but they want $1000 for the 13. I would guess that is because it is not a stock item, at that particualr store anyway, and special orders are typically expensive there. Altho in checking around at some smaller dealers, I am finding much better prices.

Bill

I'd shop harder. Seems like a pretty high price for a 13NC. The 12FP is a different animal, not an EPA stove. Also, check online stores or places like DoItBest lumber, etc.

The 13s that Lowe's just got in here are priced at $799 and the 12 is $699.

There is no chimney in the house. The 8" chimney is at Lowes. 3 pieces of class A for $90 each. They have a box that has
everything from the chimney cap to the ceiling ring. that is a little over $200.

Great, put the money saved by going to 6" pipe towards getting the 13NC. You'll be glad you did and can probably sell the Fisher for a hundred or so which hopefully will get you heating soon.

Check out want adds, Craigs list, and even E-Bay. You may find a deal on a good used stove.

My comment is that you get what you pay for. do your research first, lots of it. and think of your hard earned dollars not as a 1-2 year commitment but as a twenty year investment. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.