pricing a new stove to heat 2700 sq ft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eernest4

Oct 22, 2007
ct
netzero.com
I was looking at 2 secondary air epa stoves & 2 cat stoves , to heat 2700 & thinking about which one I might buy at end of season clearance sale.
I though some one here might be interested, too.

englander 50-30ncp , secondary air epa, 2700 sq ft, 3.5 cu ft firebox $900.00--$1300.oo depending on how hard you shop .

drolet model 2000 , 2700 sq ft secondary air, 2.8 cu ft firebox $1000.oo + ship from www.northerntools.com

Blazeking 2700 sq ft King Classic, epa catalitic, 4.5 ft firebox, susposed to have a 40 hr overnite burn but sold through dealers only, for a plain jane black meerly $3,500.oo + 6% sales tax+shipping.

It was a good thing I was already sitting down at the time! And not drinking any coffee. Because I might have fallen down & choked to death when he told me $3,500 +tax+ship.!
]
I told the dealer I'd be back for one, just as soon as I won the lottery!

Then I asked the blazeking dealer if he had a stove that a normal person could afford & he says the blazeking princess epa cat with 2.7 cu ft firebox ,only $2799.oo + sales tax+ shipping.

BlazeKing seems to be a good stove like Mercades Benz is a good car. Hard to find something more expensive !
Of course, your pockets might be deeper than mine. ;-P

$3500 for a steel stove seems a bit steep. Then again, I have not studied the unit, but at first glance it seems lot a lot of money. But I'm old-fashioned, and am just as shocked when I hear of $4000 pellet stoves! or more....

So, there is a BMW, Mercedes or Ford for every pocket. It may very well be that your dealer is the one making the BK that expensive. I certainly don't remember then being that high.

Read the EPA Card from your stove this will give you a different idea about a appliances out put in BTUs. Condition of the insulation and air tightness in your home are very big factors in heating any home.

Your Blaze King dealer must have more Princesses in stock, as there is only a couple hundred difference between it and the King here in the midwest. They price the King ultra, black door at about $2500. here, in store (no added shipping). Try another dealer.

I would love to have a Blaze King, but am not about to pay that much for a new stove. The Englander's are tempting at the season end prices the box stores sometimes offer, but I really want a cat stove with thermostatic control that the Blaze King offers.

Not sure any single stove is going to heat all that space perfectly.

In some ways, the whole premise of the thread is not what happens in the market when most folks are shopping for stoves. After all, how many threads have you seen that say "cheapest car for going 70 MPH in".....very few, I would guess, because price is only one of many factors that drive a stove purchase. In fact, in general stoves that cost more (and also cars) sell MORE units than stoves that cost less!

Power windows, enamel finishes, soapstone, heated seats, etc.......all variables in the equation....along with, of course, what your mate (if you have one) will allow in the living room.

However, I think once you get over $2500 you enter rarefied territory, like cars over 35K. The usual "premium" stoves, like big enameled VC, Jotul, HearthStone, etc....can usually be had for around that price. Certainly the BK large box and long burn is nice, but it still is a steel stove that weighs "x" pounds......

How true Craig.
Something else that my dad told me when I was stove shopping, "Remember, your going to be sitting across from it in your living room for a long time too"
I think after size, the looks of the stove would be the second most important.
remember, if you have a wood lot or can scrounge enough the stove will be paid for in short order with fuel prices where they are.
The entire installation (all my labor) of almost $3000 is all paid for now in the oil savings from the last 3+ years.

Whats the price on a new Morso 3610? I was around $1800 but that was three years ago and it was $200 cheaper (add in the tax savings to that 200 and it was close to $300 less) to buy it in New Hampshire as well.

Ditto to that, you should get the best unit you can and make sure that you love the looks.

I have to say it

PE summit ! (pacific energy)
you will the the beast !

Take a look at the Lopi Leyden. I've heard it's a lot of finely crafted cast iron for the money, 73K Btu at around $2K. A friend in NH has one and worships it. Says it burns all night and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.