Pricing out O2 barrier Pex, should I also...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlshrk

Mar 4, 2008
VA
Do I also need to be searching for connections that are "barrier" or do they even make them?

Brass is good.

All Metalic fittings will not transfer oxygen. All plastic fittings that I know of are Not for heating and I don't think are oxygen barrier. I wouldn't use the plastic fittings on your heating system anyways.

Yeah, I see plenty of brass and copper that are avail. But I also came upon some by a company called ProPex on a couple of websites. Then there are also manifolds and such that are premade. Some of these have pex in them. But none of them seem to differentiate if they are barrier. Guess I should quit overthinking things and just go w/ the brass or copper fittings. Keep it simple, eh?

Thanks

ProPex is a trade term by Wirsbo/ Uponor for their expansion-ring type fittings, and they have those fittings in both brass and fiber-reinforced plastic. I've used both the brass and plastic in my domestic plumbing, and they all seem to work well, although I do not know the oxygen-blocking or transmitting characteristics of the plastic. Regardless of the 02 issues, I would sleep better using all PEX and metal in a heating loop, rather than plastic-PEX elbows, tees, and manifolds, unless I saw specs from the manufacturer that said that the plastic-PEX fittings were OK for hydronics

Status
Not open for further replies.