1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Prickly Plum

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Risser09, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Risser09

Risser09 New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    A friend at work has what he calls a "prickly plum" tree that is all but fallen. He says there is probably enough to fill a truck, with a 7"-8" base. I've never heard of such a tree and can't come up with much on google. Does anyone have any insight? Is he describing a different tree?

Thanks,
    A

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Never burned it but rule of thumb up here is that fruit trees make good fire wood...like apple, pear and cherry. If it were me I'd take it.
  3. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    The native plums in PA can have lots of short spur branches that could make the tree 'prickly' and might be the reason he is calling it prickly plum. The name prickly plum isn't commonly used here in PA in my experience, and it definitely isn't the official name of the tree, but native plums of a couple dfferent species are found throughout the eastern US. I think the wood would be a lot like cherry. If it is free and not too hard to get, take it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.