Prickly Plum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Risser09

Jun 26, 2008
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
A friend at work has what he calls a "prickly plum" tree that is all but fallen. He says there is probably enough to fill a truck, with a 7"-8" base. I've never heard of such a tree and can't come up with much on google. Does anyone have any insight? Is he describing a different tree?

Thanks,
A

Never burned it but rule of thumb up here is that fruit trees make good fire wood...like apple, pear and cherry. If it were me I'd take it.

The native plums in PA can have lots of short spur branches that could make the tree 'prickly' and might be the reason he is calling it prickly plum. The name prickly plum isn't commonly used here in PA in my experience, and it definitely isn't the official name of the tree, but native plums of a couple dfferent species are found throughout the eastern US. I think the wood would be a lot like cherry. If it is free and not too hard to get, take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.